Held the iphone 5 today in a o2 store, uk.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Blankman, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Blankman macrumors newbie

Hi all. Poped into a uk o2 store today to get my nano sim ready for friday and the guy said we've just received the iphones in ready for friday.... wanna' have a look?! ....... um yes!

So thought I would post my thoughts as a general public user.
    My first impressions were this feels a bit weird! To look at it face on I wouldn't say it looked any different or noticeably bigger, if I didn't compare it to my 4 and just picked it up of the counter I would just think its a normal iPhone. I think this is partly due to the fact that the black of the screen it almost identical to the black fame so its hard to see (when off) the difference in screen size. This compared to the 4/4s where the screen is a much lighter shade of black.
    However thats where the similarity ends. It feels very different. It is very light weight and feels much thinner in the hand than the 4. In my opinion its maybe slightly too thin and slightly too light, but then i've got used to my 4 for 2 years so i'm sure a day or two with the new 5 and it will feel just right, time will tell.

It still feels very well built, almost seamless. I think its just as robust as the 4/4s just maybe not on first inspection as I was scarred of dropping it!

The issue people are talking about with scuffing I think will be a problem. The anodised side & back had that slightly matt feel to it , stick it anywhere with some keys or touch the pavement with it and it will defiantly scratch.

I didn't get to turn it on so couldn't test any new features out but did hit all the buttons which all feel the same as the previous iPhones.

Bit of a vague review I know but maybe enough to wet your appetite for friday.

Also to uk customers on o2 if you sign up to o2 priority moments (app) they give you a £10 voucher to use in store (there apology for the network being down a few months ago). They had a few basic cases already for the phone but weren't great but the also had screen protectors for £10 so I went with one of those to whack on first thing friday (hopefully)!

And one last think to mention if anyones interested is that (according to o2 man) apple wont be selling any type of case in store on friday.

2. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Uve held one !

U lucky so and so

Shame u didn't have pictures to support your boast.

3. DMHmac macrumors member

They just let you hold one, meaning they unwrapped one out of the package and offered it to you so you could mess around with it?

Hmmm....

4. mtj111 macrumors member

Not that surprising, it'll be a display model that everyone will be messing with in 2 days.

5. Blankman thread starter macrumors newbie

Just thought i'de give my impressions. Wasn't a boast, just a nice unexpected surprise I thought people might want to know about. The o2 guy was quite excited to be showing it off, they had obviously been playing about with it in the back so didn't get it out especially for me! Did think about taking a pic but felt a bit geeky in front of the traditionally cool, man about town phone sales men.
    Main reason for posting to add weight to the scuff gate potential. Hands on feel confirms what people are worried about.

6. highertechnology macrumors 6502

Thats very cool that you got to play with one early.

But it is impossible to tell how deep the anodizing penetrates the metal band by feeling it. Unless the one you had showed wear, this is not applicable.

7. kanesw macrumors regular

kanesw

Is the black finish on the back as light/grey as many blog photos make it out to look?

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I bet it would look like him holding an iPhone.

9. ttexxan macrumors regular

Withou proof I claim bs?..my wife works in the industry and one of there co workers was atthe event with apple. He actually played with it while on. He stated the weight and feel was a warm welcome and had nothing but good things to say about performance and feel

10. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I meant "boast" in a good way !

11. Blankman thread starter macrumors newbie

Very true, and I'm defiantly hoping this isn't the case and I am wrong. Im just saying it felt like it could scratch quite easily. Then saying that my new MBPr has the same sort of feel to it and thats still scratch free though its not carried around in my pocket with me all day like a phone is.

its almost got a blue tint to it but I was in an o2 store (blue lights and reflective boards all around) it defiantly not black but as you say more of a grey.

;)

It was just my initial opinion, i'm defiantly hoping I will prefer it to the 4 after using it properly especially after paying £600 for the thing!! Besides wouldn't it be BS if I was just saying the same things as anyone else who's played with one? there's a few other people out there now that have received there phones, i've not really looked at there info but I guess there also just voicing there opinions.
    thanks , Can be hard to understand sarcasm in the written word!!

12. phearx macrumors regular

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/definitely

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/defiantly

Two different words, also it's hard to read what you type with random words being capital, and no commas.

13. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

I held one earlier today at another O2 store, but the manager turned up and took it away. I believe I saw an employee being fired on the spot.

When he let me hold it for a few seconds, I couldn't believe that it felt slightly lighter and thinner, in fact I'm not sure I want it to be any more lighter than it is.

14. joesploggs macrumors regular

Yep same here. The guy who gave me my nano sim in an O2 shop today brought out a white one from his pocket. He wouldn't let me hold it though!! Screen looked fantastic and was impressed with how thin it looked. Roll on Fri!

15. ldominguez1986 macrumors member

Why the skepticism? It's not not he was making a crazy claim. He said he held it, that's it. I can get behind that. Also, some people have differences in opinions. Just because one person likes something doesn't mean the other person will. That's what makes us all different. It's not a crazy idea to believe that this guy held one.

16. Blankman thread starter macrumors newbie

I stand corrected on the definitely/defiantly reading back I obviously mean to say definitely. Not sure what you mean for the random capital words, I can only assume MBPr (MacBook Pro Retina) & BS (bull ******)? sorry if I missed a few commas out, didn't realise I was writing an article for the wall street journal!

When he let me hold it for a few seconds, I couldn't believe that it felt slightly lighter and thinner, in fact I'm not sure I want it to be any more lighter than it is.[/QUOTE]

I agree, it feels just right now, solid. New one just maybe has lost that feeling due to the weight.

Thanks for the support! I didn't realise my simple shared findings would find such drama!

----------

How did the white one look in the flesh? Ive gone for the black one but have seen some pics of the white which might make me regret my decision!

17. joesploggs macrumors regular

The white looked really good- I didn't actually like the looks of the back of the white one from pictures but I was really surprised at how great it looked. I ordered the black also.

18. yegon macrumors 68020

Tsk, clearly not BS, all the shops will have them in now. The BS claims are from people claiming ownership for ten days. I've copped a feel of UK edition hardware (not Apple stuff) a few times in the past a week or so early, you just have to smile nicely at the staff!