Helen Thomas- Jews 'own the White House.'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 184550, Mar 18, 2011.

1. 184550 Guest

Politico Article- Helen Thomas- Jews 'own the White House.' Taken from the April 2011 interview from Playboy.

If you click the link you can read her views on remembering the Holocaust as well.

Guess this is just more evidence that vindicates her 'retirement'.

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Are you as old as Helen? Have you seen that she has seen?

Just because she speaks of Jewish influence in Washington, does not automatically make her anti-Semitic. Sorry to burst your self-created bubble.

There can be no question that undue influence (given the weight of Jewish voters) has been going on for years.

3. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Anti-Semitism is generally quite swiftly and harshly dealt with in this country (and rightly so). It's a shame such an attitude towards prejudice is not more evenly applied when it comes to other groups.

I think Israel deserves quite a lot of criticism, as does the pro-Israeli lobby. Criticism of these two entities is not tantamount to anti-Semitism. Also, much what Thomas says echoes sentiments being expressed accross the Middle East on a daily basis. She is Lebanese, and Israel's track record with Lebanon is pretty shameful. Right or wrong, this stuff is not necessarily coming out of the blue. With that being said, some of Thomas' statements and language came across as very reckless at best.

4. 184550 thread starter Guest

Sounds like you just created a bubble yourself. Care to point out where I stated any of that? Or were you just making an assumption?

If you need to hear my opinion on the Jewish/ Israeli Lobby; Yes, I completely agree that it is a powerful force. However, that's not focus of the story.

There can also be no question that one who reports the news needs to remain relatively objective. I could give a damn what she says in private but when one starts expressing their opinion in a profession such a journalism, you lose all credibility to report a story without undue bias.

I completely agree.

I have no problem with her expressing her opinion/ point of view but with her (former) standing, she could probably wrangle a ton of op-ed space/ television interviews to voice her concerns in a tactful manner.

5. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Do you think that the US media are hypersensitive when it comes to criticising the pro-Israeli lobby?

Well, she did express it more or less in a private capacity.

Perhaps the essence of her admittedly clumsy criticism of Jewish political influence was an attempt at a level of objectivity that is lacking in the media. Whenever a person dares criticise the pro-Israel lobby, that person is pummeled by a crowd of jerking knees and cries of anti-Semitism. I'm not excusing Thomas at all, I think she went too far in her language, but I think she has a point.

...unless the media are not interested in talking about that side of the story. Come to think about it, we don't hear much about it in the media, do we?....

6. jake4ever macrumors regular

Just 1 more anti-semite... out of the billions more...

7. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

As strange as it may sound people very rarely even think about Jews in the west, let alone waste their time on hating them.

8. jake4ever macrumors regular

Sorry sir, you are wrong.
    Link's right here.

9. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

1,211 incidents in a country with a population of over 300 million people (according to the 2010 census)? That's so small it is laughable.

Just so you understand that is one incident for every 247,729.14 people (roughly).

10. jake4ever macrumors regular

It's laughable until it's your people.

11. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

Billions? :rolleyes:

You know, if you believe that people are out to get you long enough, eventually they will be.

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Screw the ADL. I lost all respect for them after they took the stance against the not-Mosque at not-Ground Zero in Manhattan.

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Perhaps they find this position to be useful, somehow?

As for One of One Billion (me), I care not a whit who gets in my car.

14. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

I have to say, I agree with you both. Perspective is a complex mistress.

15. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I'd say they are my people now.... As a atheist with Christian parents, I still don't like the idea of any religious group being discriminated against.

That said, atheist are in a much worse position the Jews in America...there's only one openly atheist congressmen and most main stream candidates bring up how important religion is as their guiding light, and a lack of faith is often meet with questions. I do agree anti-semitism is an important issue, but the rate of it in USA is at a point that's quite good consider how many people we have and historically what it has been.

As for the original article, I agree with the point, Jewish people do have a large say in American policy, but I don't mind that, I mind their views that they use their influence to support(again there are non-extreme Jews, but I'd say the 'main stream Jewish stance' on things like Israel and general middle east policy is greatly flawed) But its also clear the people interview has too extreme of a view.

16. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

It is when/if they use their power to benefit their own interests instead of that of the nation that a problem exists. When you use your power and influence to send billions of tax dollars to Israel, send other people's children to war in whole or part for Israel or stifle all criticism, both domestic and foreign, of Israel, then there is a problem. Because at that stage the foreign country of Israel owns and manipulates the US government (which should be acting on behalf of and for the American people) for its own self interests.

The same can be said for the media. When you use your power and influence in the media to manipulate and shape the opinions and minds of your viewers to be in the interest of Israel, rather than objectively present the facts and events, then you have a problem.

This isn't necessarily limited to Jews, but involves any group with strong connections to a foreign country, and who may use their influence and power to more benefit the foreign country than the US. In this particular case, the fact that an Israel lobby exists, and that every presidential candidate goes there and gives a speech about how they "love" Israel and are "committed" to Israel prior to an election is a major red flag. Israel is a foreign country after all, looking out for its own interests. It should have little to no influence in the internal politics of the USA.

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

All true, but this is just vested self-interest. All countries are in it for themselves.

Besides, the U.S. loves having an Israel in the Middle East.

Keeps the oil barons on their toes.

18. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Now that she's got nothing to lose she's letting it all hang out.

19. Joshuarocks macrumors 6502

Joshuarocks

Count me as anti-semitic also :).. Hence why the USA is falling apart because of the jewish led Bilderburg group of Totalitarian corporations and the architects of the NEW WORLD ORDER.

20. Joshuarocks macrumors 6502

Joshuarocks

The USA needs to stop befriending Israel.. that monsterous state has been RESPONSIBLE for crimes against humanity and its government is just as EVIL as the government of the former USSR. But then again, zionism is another form of racism and apartheid.

Its time to CUT support for Israel.. let them fend for themselves.

21. Joshuarocks macrumors 6502

Joshuarocks

For such a small minority, they control our lives.. Look at corporate rule in this country, hence why the USA is still and will be messed up.. Recession? Over? Hardly.. job market? Better? Wrong again... its all part of the NEW WORLD ORDER under Barrack Hussein Obama and others who support him.

I am completely for the end of support for the state that commits crimes against men, women, and children.. an army that calls itself the "Israeli army".. should be called the Brown jackets army.

22. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

The oil barons don't need to be kept on their toes, most of them are already bought and paid for by the US. Those monarchs and dictators you see ruling countries like Saudi Arabia and Bahrain are all bought and paid for.

23. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Pat Robertson, is that you?

24. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Yeah dem dagdum Jews iz ruining this great Christian land dagnabit! Better get our guns and bibles out and fight for the good ole us of a I reckon.

Ps. The confederacy will rise again!

25. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If I went on a protest in Washington DC or London claiming Tibetan independence from China and that the Han Chinese should leave I would be cheered on, if I went on a protest claiming Kashmiri independence from India/Pakistan and saying that non-Kashmiris should leave I wouldn't be bothered. If I went on a protest saying that the Jews had to leave Israel and go back to Europe I'd be lynched.

If its outrageous to make the Jews leave Israel then its outrageous to make the Han Chinese leave Tibet and I don't think most Americans would agree that the two are equivalent.

Frankly I think that looks like there's a pro-Jewish bias in US culture - and I'm not even looking at the military aid etc. etc.