Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toughboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2003
Izmir, Turkey
well it may seem dummie, but I couldnt understand what "hell froze over" meant when it was on the Apple site.. I forgot to ask it in last week, but now I'll ask..

what does "hell froze over" mean??

thanx in advance..

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Well I see you are from Turkey, so you probably don't know the phrase hell freezing over, the two opposites coming together, it being very hot in hell and Apple making one of its best programs for Windows.

EDITED: for BAD typo.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
It would be more accurate to say the expression "That'll happen when hell freezes over." is referring to something that is extremely unlikely to happen--hell being a place of eternal flame and brimstone, so it's never going to freeze there.

And, Jobs said "We'll release a version of iTunes for Windows when Hell freezes over." (At least at the music event, although it's the sort of thing many, including him maybe, would have said beforehand as well.)

Hence, "Hell froze over."

Must be global warming.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
Originally posted by Wes
Well I see you are from Turkey, so you probably don't know the phrase hell freezing over, the two opposites coming together, it being very cold in hell and Apple making one of its best programs for Windows.

I thought it was more like, in US culture, hell is generally seen as a very hot place (different cultures have different ideas of hell) and the chances of it freezing over are very low to imposible.

The chances of Apple making iTunes for Windows were very low because iTunes is one of the reasons for people to choose Macs over PCs.

So Apple was linking the unlikelyness of hell freezing over to iTunes being released for the PC.

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by hvfsl
I thought it was more like, in US culture, hell is generally seen as a very hot place (different cultures have different ideas of hell) and the chances of it freezing over are very low to imposible.

The chances of Apple making iTunes for Windows were very low because iTunes is one of the reasons for people to choose Macs over PCs.

So Apple was linking the unlikelyness of hell freezing over to iTunes being released for the PC.

Sorry, I made a stupid typo.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Another one in that vein indicating very bad odds at happening - "A snowballs chance in Hell"

Not very good chances ;)

D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.