Hell

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Jasonbot, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Hey guys, I just had a part of my Alpha course on hell tonight and I remember there were some cool verses describing hell as a cell or chamber of torture. I'm now looking for the exact verses to show my one friend but can't I find them. Does anyone know what I'm looking for and where I can find it? Can you please help? Thanks!

2. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

2 Peter 2:4

"For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but sent them to hell, putting them into gloomy dungeons to be held for judgment"

Also, there are alternative views of "hell". Hell can be described as any state where we are separated from God. I personally don't believe in an eternal hell.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

In other words- my job. :)

4. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Your job is to keep people separated from God?

5. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Thanks so much! :eek: I can't believe you got it so quick. I'm not too sure if that was exactly it. We were listening to this thing about this guy who either went into or had visions of hell and thus he turned to the light. He was quoting all sorts of stuff.

6. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Maybe this one?

Luke 16:23-24

"In hell, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. So he called to him, 'Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire"

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Uhh...no. In other words, my job is a torture chamber. ;)

8. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Lol... I would suspect that a lot of people would describe their job that way

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

That would be Purgatory, often confused with the first level of Hell, which is actually Limbo. It's not exactly Hell, but you are deprived of Paradise, which is like a walking Hell. Similar (or equal to) life on Earth. From there, it goes further down until you get to the really bad torturous parts of Hell, getting worse as you go down.

Dante described it pretty well in his trilogy, but it of course isn't recognized fully by the Church.

10. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

While I'm not a Bible scholar, I think there are different ways of viewing the whole idea of Hell. I don't prescribe to the Catholic view of hell by any means. The only eternal hell I believe in is eternal separation, which doesn't necessarily mean a torturous hell, but could just mean they cease to exist and thus being eternally separated.

11. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

"l'enfer, c'est les autres"

Hell is other people…

Sartre…

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Exactly what are you inferring?

13. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

14. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

That Hell is other people ;) ... which sadly I somewhat agree with. :eek:

(he said while getting ready to leave for a crowded club to hang out with his friends and a huge group of strangers)

15. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I'm pretty sure he got that part, and was most likely commenting on arkitect calling us all "hell"...

16. Aranince macrumors 65816

Mat 8:12 But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Mat 13:42 And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Mat 22:13 Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast [him] into outer darkness; there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Mat 25:30 And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

17. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Wow thanks for the link. I took this Alpha course at a rehab in Okechobee about fifteen years ago but I had no idea it had such roots. Best teachings. ever.

Oh, and "religion is for people who are afraid of going to hell... spirituality is for people who've already been there.";)

18. jczubach macrumors 6502

jczubach

this explains a lot. thank you.:eek:

19. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Hell

NOUN:

1a. Being a fan of the Seattle Sonics basketball team.
    1b. A situation of misery, discord, torment, anguish: The Sonics played like Hell tonight.

INTERJECTION: Used to express anger, disgust, or impatience: I sure as hell am not buying season tickets next year.

IDIOMS: Let's get the hell out of this arena and go have a drink.

ETYMOLOGY: Middle English helle, from Old English. See kel-1 in Appendix I.

20. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

As per the winky. ;)

Ok, now I'm leaving.

You should make that your sig.