Hello Mr Leader. Mitt visits the Limeys

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Queso, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Queso macrumors G4

Mitt Romney once organised an Olympics, and so he's decided to join the party over in London this week to reinforce the point and gain a few photo ops. However, so far he's managed to upset just about everyone over here by telling us our Games are worryingly disorganised before they've even begun, and now he's decided the leader of the opposition Labour party is rather conveniently named Mr Leader (probably Mr. L Leader in Mitt's eyes).

He's also decided to throw a little fundraiser over here whilst he's about too. £75k a pop to join the throng, which includes such wonderful people as disgraced Barclay's boss Bob Diamond.

It's difficult to see if Mitt is actually this tactless or whether he's trying to be deliberately offensive. Either way, if he's President come next January don't go expecting an invitation for a state visit.

2. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I don't know what kind of president he would make, but Romney does seem to be klutzy in terms of campaigning. Very, very awkward. When I saw him in Birmingham (Alabama, not England) he reminded me of that Robert Redford movie where Redford is campaigning and seems to be cracking a bit by the process.

3. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

I can understand that being on the receiving end of so much attention for such a long period is incredibly stressful. I think he would have been better to try and keep a reasonably low profile over here and get a few days away from the campaign trail. Just being photographed with all the world leaders that are turning up would have provided all the publicity he needed.

I think it's the fundraiser link to someone so recently exposed for banking corruption that has done him the most harm over here to be honest. Short of pulling the spine out of a baby on live TV there's not much worse you can do in the UK right now than associate with that type of banker. Whether that part of it translates to the USA is debatable though.

4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I read somewhere earlier that he likes Kit Kats. I like Kit Kats.

Mitt and I may be struggling for conversation after we've covered that, though.

5. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

I don't really get the Mr. Leader comment he made?

6. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

Speculation is that he couldn't remember Ed Milliband's name, so just improvised :D

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Don't Brits say, "Mr. Speaker" in parliament?

I'll bet he was just extending that ... beyond its customary usage.

Probably because he forgot a name and had to come up with something.

8. 184550 Guest

I thought it was rather interesting that Piers Morgan went off justifying his remarks on CNN this afternoon.

9. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

Morgan is a staunch Labour Party supporter, so will take any opportunity to have a go at the current UK government.

He is also an incredibly pompous arsehole, so best not to pay too much attention to him. Ever. :D

10. WRP macrumors 6502a

Here's the thing, it doesn't matter what you across the pond think of him. It's what we think of him. And right now we have a giant decision to make between a turd sandwich and a giant douche.

11. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

Oh I know our opinion doesn't really matter, but it is the first chance we've had to experience him first hand so I thought I'd share a few impressions.

12. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

American Kit Kats aren't real. They're made by Hershey under license instead of Nestle like they are everywhere else.

13. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'd describe it as a choice between a reasonably effective POTUS and a giant douche.

14. 184550 Guest

I know, I find him vile.

He just seemed so eager to come to Mitts defense.

15. Jaffa Cake, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012

Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I'm sure he's had the chance to sample proper Kit Kits during his trip – come to think of it, it was probably their superiority over what he's used to that put him in a bad mood about us in the first place.

On his 'Mr Leader' comment, it's been explained away by the fact that apparently it's common for US politicians to refer to fellow political types by their job title – 'Mr Prime Minister', 'Mr Chancellor', that sort of thing. If that's true, it'll be interesting to see what he calls Nick Clegg should Dave introduce them. :p

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Kit Kits?

:confused:

17. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

Yes. Over here we build them ourselves. Nestlé just provide the parts.

18. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I'm sorry, I was getting a bit over excited about our important visitor. :eek:

19. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

I see now... perhaps.

But surely he didn't think he was the PM? As mr leader might be taken to mean.

20. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

Who knows what Mitt was thinking? I just think he got caught on the hop and that was the best he could do to avoid an embarrassing pause.

21. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I would guess Milliband was introduced to the intrepid Mitt as the 'Leader of the Opposition'.

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'd normally apologize for Mitt on behalf of my nation but you guys sent ****ing Russell Brand over here.

Romney is so uncomfortable in this campaign. I bet he secretly wishes he never made it this far.

23. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I thought that kit kits were DIY football uniforms

----------

No one forced you to let him in

24. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

:D It's not too late to step down! The convention hasn't happened yet!

25. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Shut up, you gave us Nickelback and Justin Bieber! :p