HELP – Cloning and Moving OS and Data between 2 Macbook Pros

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by UncleRuckus, Sep 25, 2012.

1. UncleRuckus macrumors newbie

Hello all ...

NOTE

I am entirely new to active use of the forums but I have come here for help in the past and have found the community really useful. Hopefully you can help. Should also note that I am not really that experienced with the software or hardware I'm going to ask about, so I apologise for any rookie mistakes.

HELP

In short, I am trying to copy the OS, the installed software and associated data from one machine onto a partition on another, so I can use the second machine as a hub and boot from either OS - and access the software and data from either machine - rather than switching between and having to carry around two seperate machines.

LOADS MORE DETAILS

I currently own a Macbook Pro (we'll call this one Machine One) which I take out and about, as you do.

Meanwhile, my workplace has given me a new macbook pro to use for the foreseeable future (Machine Two).

However, machine two has to stay in the office most of the time and it would be useful to be able to access all the software and the OS from machine two via a partition - I think I am using the right term there - on machine one.

Can I somehow clone the OS, software and data from Machine Two and have it placed on Machine One, alongside the OS, software and data which already exists on Machine One?

I am aware that I may have to pop in a new HD to accomodate for the space required, but I am thinking of upgrading Machine One to SSD and will have to open it up soon regardless.

In addition, if this plan requires me to run on two drives, I could always put the HD from Machine One into the space taken up by its Optical Drive and then install a new SSD in its place. Or something to that effect.

SPECS

Machine One

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
    Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro7,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 8 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP71.0039.B0B
    SMC Version (system): 1.62f6
    Serial Number (system): W8042MGWATM
    Hardware UUID: 3EF709FA-4EA7-59B6-BEAF-C0CE0F0C3235

Machine Two

System Version: Mac OS X 10.7.4 (11E2620)
    Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro10,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 8 GB
    Boot ROM Version: MBP101.00EE.B00
    SMC Version (system): 2.3f32
    Serial Number (system): C02J3H3SDKQ1

Thank you for reading and I hope someone here can inform an unenlightened user such as I!

All the best.

2. JustanotherJack macrumors newbie

Migration Assistant will do everything you want.

3. Major.Robto macrumors 6502

Just migrate manually. I never seen that migration utility and cloning work that well.

It tends to cause more problems then what its worth.

You should always do everything clean going from one computer to another.