help! "10hr battery" last not 10 lol also i5 overclocked? and battery life help!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bereda, Jun 6, 2010.

1. bereda macrumors member

i have a 15 inch mbp i5 4 gb with hires screen and 7200 rpm drove and im lucky if i get 5-6 hours 10 hours my arse is there any way to fix this to last 10 hours????

also whats the highest the i5 can be over clocked too?? and how to do it?

also is anyone else anoyed with the all glass track pad when trying to scroll and its way to hard like u have to reallly pree sto scroll i dont get it it thought it was sopossed to be sensitive but mines not also is there away to turn off two fing click for right click cause if im scrolling some times i like to use to fingers to click its eaiser cause my fingers are broken.... helppppp

2. dplxy macrumors regular

it has turbo
    it will over clock to higher clock when needed.
    and if you want to go higher than that
    u need to adjust the vcore

i think that 10 hours is more like turn off wifi
    dim the screen

3. Sarngate macrumors regular

The 15'' MBP's are not advertised as getting 10 hours, it's 8-9 max, and that is with everything low, brightness turned down etc.

4. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

There, that's why, if you have the screen set higher than 50%, you can't expect to get the same battery life, also a 7200rpm drive will probably suck a little bit more battery life as it's spinning faster.

Typed on my pre Unibody MBP that's lucky to get more than 2 1/2 hours battery life, so count yourself lucky...

5. tombilske macrumors member

tombilske

install gfxCardStatus and see what card you are using. it is likely the Nvidia, and if that's the case then that is where all of your battery life is going. many things trigger the Nvidia card, including things that arent even graphics intensive at all, but use the core technologies such as Open CL and Open GL.

also, as mentioned above, the battery life for the 15 and 17 inch models is 8-9 hours, not 10 hours. the 13 inch is the only one with 10 hours.

and the 7200 RPM drive (if you added it as a BTO option when you bought your computer) will barely affect the battery life. The 7200RPM drive that Apple ships is the Seagate Momentus 7200.4, Model ST9500420ASG. This drive only uses 0.5% more power than an equal 5400RPM drive, so don't worry about that affecting your battery life.

The things that you have to look out for are screen brightness, bluetooth, and the graphics card. all of these things affect battery life

6. Stankonia macrumors regular

Yeah, you will almost never get the battery life advertised by a company. Their claims are always based on brightness at 1%, wireless turned off, use limited to typing a single text file, etc. Basically extremely limited use that is impractical except for making the battery last as long as possible.

I always lower my standards and expect to get half the life claimed.

7. mark28 macrumors 68000

Could it be possible due to having a hi-res screen that you only get 6 hours at max instead of 8-9?

8. Tranquilibrium macrumors newbie

Sorry for hi-jacking,,

I've just recently bought my MBP 15.4" i7, with the hi-res screen.

However, my battery only lasts around 2 hours. This is with the screen lighting dimmed down to the most extreme (one tap away from all black), no backlighting, no sound, and not even having an app open. Is this normal? :confused:

9. bereda thread starter macrumors member

its gotta be the hi res screen and yea it is labeled as 10 hr battery but oh well ill live i mainily need to know how to change the right click its getting hella annnoying whenn im scrolling and trying to select i mean come on! hahaha its hard and not very senseitve to press so two fingers is necesary but idont know how to change it i wish they kept the old bar button it worked better and mor fluild.... fristratrating for some one used to the old mbp... if u can solve it help and pm me thanks u guys are the best comunity for mac every one is friendly and when its true u buy a mac u get a family and friends even tho apple have abbandonded there old ways of being hands on and theyll help you no matter what ... but now its its hush hush seceret and and god for bid you u buy buy a product and then the they blow you off soo thsmks guys with everything and can u u help with the track pad being stiff and the scrolling right click or can i mod it to makd the ol track pad to work hahaha im so used to it and was the most importantnat thing to me

i dont care if i have to hold shift then click lol but the two fingers for right click interfers with the scrolling with two fingers.... so please help theres gotta be a setting or a work around point me in the direction please or its mod time lol

10. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

I'm not normally a grammar facist, but your post is barely intelligible. Allow me to translate:

It must be the HiRes screen [that is causing reduced battery life], even though it is advertised as 10hr [sic].

The main issue is changing the right click behaviour which is causing difficulties when i scroll. The older design, with the separate button, was easier for me to use. Please PM me if you know how to solve this.

When you buy a Mac you get a family and friends [apart from the editor who's an old curmudgeon].

[Some fairly incoherent rant about Apple from the OP follows]

Now, to the OPs questions:
    Apple advertises their 15" as having 8-9 hour battery life (not 10hours!), under the following conditions:
    1. Screen brightness 50%
    2. Wifi on
    3. light web browsing (no doubt in Safari, which uses less CPU than Firefox under my testing (even without flash).
    4. no flash
    5. possibly some word processing
    6. Intel gfx (as none of the above would trigger the 330m)
    7. Possibly the low res screen.

FWIW I have the high res AG and in practice I get about 5hours battery life running the stuff I need to run. Dissappointing, but 'so et was'.