[HELP] 13" MBP no longer recognizes SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by twolves14, May 9, 2013.

1. twolves14, May 9, 2013
    Last edited: May 9, 2013

twolves14 macrumors newbie

[Background]
    I have the latest gen 13" MacBook Pro with base specs/options. Purchased in June 2012. I replaced the original hard drive with a Samsung 830 128GB SSD a week after purchase. Had no issues until recently.

[Problem Setup]
    Last week, I had my phone charging through the USB port on the MacBook and I closed the lid to put the Mac to sleep. A few minutes later, I needed the phone, so I disconnected it from it while it was still asleep. About an hour later, I opened up the MacBook and it froze on my user login screen. I waited a few minutes, then manually shut it down. Upon restart, I was taken to the blinking question mark in folder screen. SSD shows no data loss when hooked up externally.

[Attempted Fixes]
    -I tried internet recovery, but no drive was found.
    -Did all the standard PRAM/SMC Resets
    -Removed SSD and hooked it up via SATA-USB cable to the Mac and it was recognized and bootable. Everything works perfectly externally.
    -Put the original HDD back inside (Copied all data from the SSD to the HDD), and the Mac boots normally.
    -Formatted the SSD and did a fresh install of Mountain Lion, still not recognized when inside the Mac.
    -I don't really have a way to update the firmware of the SSD.
    -Apple won't help me, they are obviously saying it's the SSD's fault.

Plot Twist: Twice I got the SSD to boot internally by plugging in an Xbox 360 controller in to the USB port (something to do with how the issue started in my "Problem Setup" section). But it doesn't work anymore. Microsoft's revenge?

[Conclusion]
    -Nothing wrong with the SSD, I think.
    -Nothing wrong with the Sata/USB cable inside, I think.
    -Maybe something wrong with the Logic Board?

I've read in some other threads that this happens seemingly randomly and that the Mac will never recognize that SSD ever again no matter what you do.

[Plan of Action]
    1) Buy a new SSD from a different brand and see if it's recognized
    2) Tell Apple I'm having intermittent issues with my internal HDD being recognized. Maybe they'll give me a new Mac after I keep saying it's not working.

Any recommendations?

2. twolves14 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Because of the faultiness of when it works and when it doesn't (connecting your iphone made it work, which is really weird) if I were you I would take it to Apple and have them look at it. You still have your year warranty. That should be your first option. Apple has great support. Use it!

I would of suggested a SMC Reset but you've already done that. Maybe do it again?

You're guessing it's the logic board, and I would agree, and if that's true theres nothing you can do.

Take er in.

4. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

5. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

1. SMC and PRAM reset
    2. Re-install factory HDD and Format the SSD externally
    3. Install SSD
    4. SMC and PRAM reset
    5. Make bootbale USB to install OS X (don't use Internet Recovery)

If that doesnt work, put the MBP back to factory condition and take it into Apple.

----------

I'd do this if none of what I suggest works.

6. twolves14 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, looks like I'm taking it to Apple and hoping they give me a new MacBook.

7. rw3 macrumors 6502a

rw3

They won't give you a new MacBook, they will repair your current one.

Sounds like you have one of two things:
    - Bad Front Bracket/Hard Drive Cable or
    - Bad Logic Board

From my experience, it will be one of these two things. Typically if you do what Orlandoech.com has mentioned and the issue isn't resolved, it is one of the above two things.

8. twolves14 thread starter macrumors newbie

Gave it to Apple on the 14th and said I was having intermittent issues with the HDD and that I had tried another hard drive. They shipped it to Tennessee and replaced the Front Bracket/Hard Drive Cable and I received it this morning in the mail. Installed the SSD and it's booting perfectly! Looks like the cable got messed up when I plugged my phone in. Great service by Apple, all done within 48 hours with priority overnight shipping.

9. rw3 macrumors 6502a

rw3

Plugging in your phone didn't cause the issue....this is somewhat of a known issue with the original cables on these machines. The newer cables are wider and have shielding built into the cable and bottom case.

10. twolves14 thread starter macrumors newbie

True. It was just perfect timing and the Mac is so new, that I was thinking it was a voltage issue or something like that. But you're right, probably just a coincidence.