HELP! 2.16 ghz w/ 4gb RAM or 2.4 ghz w. 2gb RAM?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kingbinji, Nov 22, 2008.

1. kingbinji macrumors newbie

Sorry if this post is in the wrong place but I'm just too eager to make up my mind. I'm about to get my first macbook but i need help deciding which to get.

For practically the same price, I'm looking at getting either

1) Brand New BLACK Macbook MB404LL/A
    -2.4GHz
    -L2 cache/3MB shared
    -2GB (two 1GB SO-DIMMs) of 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    -250GB Serial ATA

or

2) Brand New WHITE Macbook
    -2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    -120GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
    -Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
    -4GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x2GB

I'm not really familiar with how much a difference the specs will effect performance in terms of my options so if anybody can fill me in on that too. Also, I'm looking to do some video editing with the iMovie for youtube, but other than that I'll basically use it for browsing, chatting, homework, etc. Thanks for the advice yall.

2. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

get the black one. Ram and hard drives are a cheap upgrade. You cant upgrade the processor. Also, the white ones will look dirty on the palm rests over time.

3. i.maverick macrumors regular

i.maverick

mmm..

if u don't really prefer any color.. i'd get the white one.. 4GB ram would let me do almost anything and very fast. 2GB isn't bad though.. but as the poster above said.. the RAM upgrade is pretty cheap. Also, if you won't be doing anything heavy, 2GB would be enough. There won't be much practical difference between using a 2.4 and a 2.16 of the same architecture... and the white one would get dirty overtime..
    me.?
    i like the white one more. personal choice.
    :)

4. Semiopaque macrumors regular

Get the black one for the better processor.

4 GB low latency RAM upgrade for $35 after rebate:

CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 667

Haven't tried it yet myself but should be on the way for MacbookPro.

5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

the black one has the faster processor, newer chipset, larger HD, and x3100 graphics (bad, but better than the GMA950 on the white one). 2 GB RAM should be fine, and if it's not, you can upgrade to 4 GB later for about $75. Trust me - the black one is the way to go.

6. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

Problems with the 2.16 from my experience (I didn't know you could find a brand new 2.16)

2.16 doesn't recognize 4 gb ram (look at macbook ram guide at this site)
    2.16 has older graphic chip (older than the 2.4)
    The 2.16 that I had was too hot for my lap. Hotter than my 12" powerbook, 2.2 macbook and the 2.4 MBP that I had.

7. kingbinji thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the help yalll.
    i decided on the black macbook for its 2.4 ghz processor.
    its been ordered and should be here in a few days!

8. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

You will be happy. It's a fine unit. I have a black 2.2 that I upgraded to 4gb ram and a 250 hdd. Wash your hands before you use it ( I've always done this, not just on black ). Wipe it off with damp rag monthly. Keep your thumbnail off the edge of lid while opening. If your flashdrive will not fit next to another usb port use an extension cable. If you rip a lot of DVDs (unit runs hotter), elevate notebook for better cooling. The fan works great but every little bit helps. I think if I had to rip my CD collection again I'd use an external optical drive to save my original. On The Other Hand, I wish I didn't care about these things and could just throw it in my satchel like my buds and tear it up! Have Fun!