Help! 2.8GB Photo Library Usage - But I have no photos!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FrankySavvy, Jul 7, 2014.

1. FrankySavvy macrumors 65816

Help!

I tried to update to iOS 8 Beta 3 and it required 3.4GB of free space. I only have 2.5GB.

It appears my Photos and Camera take up 2.8GB under usage. I have cleared my camera roll and stopped iCloud photo steaming. I also deleted all of my messages.

How do I get rid of this 2.8GB of photos that really isn't there!

2. cnotes2019, Jul 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2014

cnotes2019 Suspended

Help! 2.8GB Photo Library Usage - But I have no photos!

Reset/restore your phone??

3. FrankySavvy thread starter macrumors 65816

Tried it, didn't work....its so weird!

4. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

The easiest workaround for this is to do an iTunes update, rather than wifi - then you don't need space on the phone for the download.

"reset/restore" - did you do both? Generally, the fix for this kind of thing is to backup/restore from backup. A simple reset usually isn't enough.

5. FrankySavvy thread starter macrumors 65816

I restored from a backup through iTunes. This is the first time this has every happened.

I had to delete Garage Band to install the new iOS 8 Beta. Then I reinstalled it, but I want to get rid of this 2.8GB of Photo data that doesn't exist!

6. ptadr macrumors newbie

Hi FrankySavvy and everybody !

Did you finally manage to get rid of this issue ?

I have the same issue with my iPhone 5s (16Gb), i deleted manually all the pictures and videos, and although I have no more pictures, the space occupied by the "Photo & Camera" application is still 2.5 Gb in "Memory Usage"

I managed to update to iOS 8 via iTunes, but it didn't solve the issue.

I also reset to factory settings and restored a previous backup; it cleared some space, but not on this application which is still taking 2.5Gb space when I check it in "Memory Usage".

I tried quite a few times just backup and restore, it didn't help.

When looking into the memory with iTunes, the "Other" part of the space is occupying 3.64Gb while Apps are occupying 3Gb, and the total free space is 5.32Gb.

I am really running out of ideas on solving this... :confused:

7. FunBobby23 macrumors newbie

I solved this problem, got 250 MB back

All,
    I was having the same problem: my 8 GB iPhone had 250 MB of space permanently taken up in the "Camera Roll" usage. I found the solution here:
    https://discussions.apple.com/message/27233127

To summarize the steps, the solution requires the use of a shareware app called "iExplorer". (You can find it on Google.) Once downloaded, connect your phone to the computer, launch iExplorer, and navigate to the directory contained the cached files. They may be in /Media/DCIM, or in /Media/PhotoData/Metadata/DCIM (or both!), depending what version of iOS you have. Within the DCIM directory, you will have subdirectories called "100APPLE", "101APPLE", etc. Delete all the files in those subdirectories; it will not affect your phone's functionality and the phone does NOT need to be "jailbroken". Disconnect your phone from the computer, reboot it, and once it restarts, you should see the available space returned very soon. (For me it took less than two minutes.)

Hope it helps!

8. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

iOS 8 has a recycle bin for photos
    its a new feature
    that might explain it

maybe its counting photos in messages ? but i seriously doubt it

damn replied to an old thread again

9. dfuhrmann macrumors newbie

Same Issue

I have the same exact issue. Any updates on suggestions?