HELP! 2012 Macbook Pro dying on me 😭

Fried Chicken

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
@#$&ing @&$%*#@ @$&%)*@ with a carrot @$&%*) @$&%) and @$*$.

The screen on my 2012 Macbook Pro 13” isn’t turning on. No signal at all.
I opened it because it was getting *really* hot around the charge port and I suspected something was wrong there.
Turns out it’s the Broadcom BCM57765B0KMLG chip responsible for SD cards and gigabit ethernet (weirdly). That thing was on fire (literally burned me).
Even with this ridiculous heat, the MBP was still working fine.

Now after putting everything back together the screen gives nothing. No backlight, no signal, nothing. I did an SMC reset and an NVRAM reset, still nothing. I tried several times to reseat the connector for the display, but to no avail. There is nothing obvious that would explain why the screen suddenly stopped working, I don’t see any torn or pinched wires, nor did the display show any signs of failure before I opened the computer.

Anyone any ideas?

Attachments

topcat001

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2019
Is the black patch on the motherboard in the second pic a burn mark or a shadow?

Your motherboard might be fried; so sorry! Does connecting an external display help?

Nbd1790

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2017
New York
I could be wrong, but from the look of it, it seems like you're going to need a logic board replacement. I purchased a 2012 15 inch MBP right as they discontinued it. The ethernet port was bad out of the box and I didn't notice for the first 3 months or so. When I brought it to Apple, they told me that 1. they couldn't exchange it (due to no stock) and 2. the only option was to have the entire logic board replaced. I'm not entirely sure if the port itself on yours is damaged, but if that's the root of the problem, I'm going to say a logic board replacement might be the only solution. In which case, might be time to pick up a new (or used) one.

Fried Chicken

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
Is the black patch on the motherboard in the second pic a burn mark or a shadow?

Your motherboard might be fried; so sorry! Does connecting an external display help?
It’s a shadow. The 2nd pic shows the Broadcom chip that’s on fire. The first pic, the infrared and lines do not line up (camera can’t do macro really well).

When connecting to an external display the computer works fine.

topcat001

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2019
It’s a shadow. The 2nd pic shows the Broadcom chip that’s on fire. The first pic, the infrared and lines do not line up (camera can’t do macro really well).

When connecting to an external display the computer works fine.
Ok that is encouraging! I don't know why the internal display is dead, but it looks like it's not getting power. While connected to an external monitor, are you able to run the Apple diagnostics?

Fried Chicken

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
I’ve gone ahead and shipped it in to JM Induestries:

They made a solid impression on the phone, have a lot of experience, and hopefully can get everything sorted.

I love this Macbook Pro; it’s a workhorse, and can do more than my iMac from 2012.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.