help: 3.1.2 unactivated tmobile user jumped too soon at spirit release

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by hiddi, May 5, 2010.

1. hiddi macrumors newbie

hey guys so my title kind of explains what i did :( i read about the ability to run an untethered jailbreak on spirit and clicked it without reading that i needed to be an activated user.

i had previously unlocked using snowbreeze or redsnow and was using a tethered blackra1n jailbreak. im now stuck at the connect to itunes screen and haven't been able to get around it. i tried to do a restrore of the 3.1.2 ipsw with redsnow and then use blackra1n again but i'm still getting kicked back to connect to itunes after the geohot face screen. is there anything i can do without activating my phone and somehow go back to the previous exploit i was using?

2. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

get an official sim activate it and then run spirit or use redsn0w or pwnagetool and have 1 of them hacktivate the phone

3. hiddi thread starter macrumors newbie

my roommate has an iphone with at&t could you link me a guide or tell me what i should then do? if this is the only option i can do

4. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

do a clean restore with the at&t sim in have iTunes activate the handset then run spirit's one button jailbreak no guide needed

5. hiddi thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry if the questions seem a little repetitive i'm just worried i won't be able to unlock especially since i'm not an at&t user.

so i should allow itunes to do the restore and upgrade me to 3.1.3? all i have to do is have the at&t sim from my roommate inside my phone and nothing else to get it past the connect to itunes screen and then run spirit?

6. hiddi thread starter macrumors newbie

well now i'm at bootloader 06.04 after the restore and the phone works with an at&t card but not t-mobile. any help?

7. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

8. hiddi thread starter macrumors newbie

yes i had to i tried doing a restore with redsnow in 3.1.2 but couldnt get it to work so i went to 3.1.3 and jailbroke with spirit. i think i've now shot myself in the foot because of the modem bootloader is at 06.04 and i can't get my tmobile sim card to work only my roommates at&t one

9. ustahir1 macrumors member

hey,

My brother bought an iphone 3gs from ebay, when plugging it into the pc it says activation need, i had an old iphone n it was easy to get past the activation back then, however it doesnt seem so easy now.

i dont know know what firmware he is on however by looking at the serial i can tell its old boot

1) my question is this, can i activate it by using an o2 PAYG sim?? or if needed i have a friend who got an iphone 3gs yesterday from o2 could i just pop his sim into the iphone n connect to itunes and activate it that way??

2) if i use my friends o2 sim do i just put it in the phone and plug the phone into itunes and activate it will it affect his iphone/sim in anyway??

10. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

yep you shot yourself in the foot really by updating to 3.1.3 unfortunately, theres no unlock for the 3.1.3 baseband

1) a payg sim will work fine, I used a regular payg sim (didn't even have data) to activate when I was able to use an unlock, the sim is just needed for the unlock.

2) his sim will not be effected by sticking it in your iPhone, iTunes will just see an iphone with an official sim in and will proceed to activate as normal then the sim can be removed you can unlock it and set to go

11. ustahir1 macrumors member

sweet thanks man, ill get a PAYG sim tomorrow!

so just plug it in and follow iTunes instructions im guessing

and then use blacksn0w to unlock and jailbreak

thank right??

12. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

yeh if you do a clean 3.1.2 restore with the O2 sim in it will be fine you wont need to do anything it will just say iPhone activated. If you have a 3Gs then you wont be able to do a clean 3Gs 3.1.2 restore as apple servers wont allow it.

easiest option for you is put £15on the sim and unlock the handset with O2 here: http://shop.o2.co.uk/update/unlockmyiphone.html

when it asks you what account you have choose monthly as payg asks for most called numbers and you will get your phone unlocked in about 2 weeks and wont have to worry about unlocking again :)

13. ustahir1 macrumors member

ok so ill get a sim top up with £15, then fill in the form on that link^ then when it asks for account type choose pay monthly or PAYG?? because they want the o2 number and im assuming they can check what i have?? and im not quite sure what you mean by most called numbers??

sorry for all the Q's its been a very long time since ive done this and with it not being mine dont really wanna take any risk

14. ustahir1 macrumors member

sorry to hassle mate but instead of paying the £15 will it not be easier to get my friends sim and put it into the iphone and plug it into iTunes??

15. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

You'll be able to jailbreak, but not unlock—the 3.1.3 firmware comes with a new baseband for which there is currently no unofficial unlock. If you need to use the phone with another carrier than O2, then getting them to unlock the phone is your only choice for now.

16. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

I only suggested the o2 unlock as a way to make it less hassle for you for future updates with the handset really, if you want to use your mates sim then yeh go ahead

17. glowrider macrumors regular

What's the current unlock situation for a 3.1.2 spirit-jailbroken phone? I'm pretty sure I'm going to ebay this guy since I've gotten my Incredible. Won't be worth it if I can't unlock...

18. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

assuming you stayed on 3.1.2 and still have the 5.11.07 baseband you can just added blackra1n.com to cydia and install blacksn0w and your set

19. ustahir1 macrumors member

ok thanks, i appreciate your help, ill have a word n see if he'll do it the O2 way as you said itl be easier for updates

20. ustahir1 macrumors member

well at the moment I just need to get it activated, which i might just do using an O2 sim then using the link given up there^^ then i think its on 3.1.2. i should be able to unlock & jailbreak if not then suppose its a waiting game till there is

21. hiddi thread starter macrumors newbie

ah damn i'm in quite a jam now. i had previously seen a hardware device where it was quite thin and people put it in the sim card slot before placing their own sim card in. could someone tell me the name of what they're called and if they'd work in my situation? waiting the rumored 2 months or so before 4.0 comes out with the likely unlock is going to be rough.

just throwing this out there too if anyone in the philadelphia area who has an unlockable iphone and uses at&t as their provider and would want to trade for a like new 16gb white 3gs with some cash on my end for the hassle drop me a message :eek: