Help! Airport Exteme(WAP) bridge to + WRT54G (WEP) + 3 Tivos

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mikeiza, Apr 12, 2007.

1. mikeiza macrumors newbie

Hi! I am planning to purchase the new Apple Airport Extreme but I would like to know if I can bridge it with my current Linksys WRT54G that is linked with our 3 Tivos. Currently, the my WRT54g is set to WEP mode because TIVO restricted it except to buy those Tivo Wireless G adapters. It will be 3 x $59.99 = 179.97 just for Tivo adapters inorder to secure my network.

Here is what I want to do:
    3 Tivos connected to Linksys WRT54G (WEP mode) via motorola cable modem and bridge WRT54G via ethernet with Airport Extreme using (WPA mode) and connect external HP Laser Printer and External Hard disk drive to it. I would want to use the airport extreme as my main access point around the house because I want to run WPA mode on each Macbook, Vista and WinXP computers primarily because of the weakness of WEP. I do not want to spend $179.99 just to update my tivo set-up because I don't usually use the multi-room option Also, I have a WII connected to my WRT54G.

Please help!!!

2. mikeiza thread starter macrumors newbie

Nevermind, I finally got it linked together! It works very well than my Linksys! My VOIP is much clearer with Airport than Linksys!

3. waxwing1 macrumors newbie

Tivos - Airport Extremes and WRT54GS

Mike - Any chance you are still out there and can post instructions on how you made this work? I'm trying to do the same. I have four Tivos in the house (only one on a service contract which is an HD with ethernet connection.) The others are old Toshiba's that have free basic Tivo (three days of guide) which is fine for what I use them for. I have old Linksys wireless adapters that only do WEP. I'd like to set them up to use the Linksys WRT54GS which then would connect the Airport Extreme to get to the internet. Sounds like what you did is exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks.

- John

4. mikeiza thread starter macrumors newbie

waxwing ... redirect all your TIVOS to linksys(WEP) then connect your APPLE EXTREME BASE STATION to linksys router and open up your (Airport Utility) click Manual Setup, then Click INTERNET, and under Connection Sharing click (OFF - BRIDGE MODE).

Make sure all your computers are connected to the AIRPORT EXTREME not the linksys. Only the TIVOS are connected to linksys wirelessly.

Here's the setup: Motorola Cable modem connects with LINKSYS and Apple Airport Extreme connected to LINKSYS.

Under the Airport Utility:
    1.Click Manual setup --> Internet
    2. Under Internet
    Connected using : Ethernet
    Configure IPv4: USING DHCP
    Ethernet WAN PORT: 100mbps / Full duplex
    Connection Sharing: OFF(BRIDGE MODE)