Help and advise needed on connecting MBP to external monitor.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by whyisitnotvalid, Jun 28, 2011.

1. whyisitnotvalid, Jun 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2011

whyisitnotvalid macrumors newbie

hi!

I've got into a right mess trying to just simply buy an external display monitor to be a 2nd desktop for my 13" MacBook Pro (Snow Leopard 10.08.06). I've had the Mac just under a year and since i do a lot of photoshop work as an illustration student i really could do with a bigger desktop.

I'm thinking about 23"-24" and i quite like Samsung ones. Looking to spend about £200-£250 ish.

One problem that i found is that not many monitors seem to have a HTMI input! which really surprised me. I have a HTMI to mini displat port adapter and i was looking at monitors as apposed to TV's simply because i was advised the resolution/ brightness/ colours would be better (this is very important to me and my work!).

However the problem is so far i have only got my desktop to appear on one tele and that's a toshiba 37" WLT68 in my living room. It's a few years old and my mac wouldn't work on the newer samsung syncmaster 2333HD in the kitchen. I also went to comet today with my cables and MBP and none of either their monitor display's or tv's would recognise my mac was there! We came to the conclusion that the HTMI to mini display port was the problem but then why does it work on the toshiba at home? Could it be something to do with newer tv's and the graphics/resolution?
    The funny thing is both my sister and my mum's PC's (window's vista and windows 7) work on both tv's we have at home using just the HTMI cable as they (being PC's) have the HTMI input...

what do i need to do to get a new monitor to work with my mac? do i need better graphics on my MBP or is it just an another apple compatibility issue and having to use the converter is confusing the tv's/monitors?

The interesting thing is, on the only tv it works on (the older toshiba) when set to mirror display, flickers and sometimes has red streaks across it but when it's just used as a 2nd desktop it's fine. I was thinking that maybe if new monitors are set up to automatically mirror display as opposed to be a 2nd desktop like the toshiba that it just recognises that it will flicker and preempt it would not be good enough...so therefore not show anthing? just a possibility...?

either way i would really really appreciate any advice on what to do...be that about a different cable (maybe a mini display port to VGA?) or a monitor that people know works using the HTMI to Mini display port adapter way with the MBP.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this and if you can help, you rule.

EDIT: this is the MDP adapter i have: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Micropix-D...NO/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1309296928&sr=8-10

If i can i would like to get the MDP, HTML way to work since it is the cables i have already. I know there are HTML tv's and monitors out there i just need them to work, and i'm not sure why they don't when on paper i have everything...

2. simsaladimbamba

It is HDMI, not HTMI.

Btw, what exact MDP to HDMI adapter do you have?
    And have you looked at displays with DVI input?

3. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

maybe you have a faulty cable? That only sometimes works (so on that one television).

I've got another third party display port to HDMI cable and it works for me.

About the screen, yes, go for a computer screen, not television. They work in an entire different way (sort of). The differences are very important when working with pictures.

4. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

I picked up one of the Mini Display Port - HDMI adapters from Monoprice last week, and it's been working flawlessly for me. It's a much better price than the first-party adapters, and it worked withough having to configure anything at all.

5. pictures macrumors member

I have a couple questions about these cables and adapters.

I just ordered a 13" MBP. I have a Samsung SyncMaster display that has 2 inputs, VGA & DVI. Which is better? I'm assuming DVI.

I was going to get the cables, does length matter? Does a longer cable lose anything? I ask this because I also have a TV display with HDMI and would probably want a longer cable.

6. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Use DVI, it will generally give you better image quality, at worst it would be equivalent to a good VGA signal. As for the TV, you will probably just want to get a separate cable for HDMI, as having too many adapters can get a little funky. I'd get about 6 foot for the DVI, and whatever you need for the HDMI.

7. pictures macrumors member

thanks for your help. :)