Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DRPTHPHN

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 4, 2011
Hi,

I bought a macbook pro a couple of weeks ago and sent it back because the hard drive was quite loud. I have received a replacement and this is equally as loud. I went in store to see if the in store ones where loud and they don't make a peep.

Has anyone upgraded and can you hear it?

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
hmm I doubt you could really compare with the ones in store, the ambient noise in the shop with all the people in too would absorb the sound from the HDD... so you probably think you cant hear much. When your in a room on your own or in silence you will hear it more.

DRPTHPHN

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 4, 2011
Maybe so but when I put my ear to the macbook in the corner where I can hear mine there is no noise at all. The store was also empty and pretty silent.

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
Well also maybe you were loading stuff etc on yours which cases it to spin and the header to move to locate your data, and in the store you were not loading anything so not much noise was created? Mines not noisy but you can hear it, not enough to be annoying though

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.