Help-Best Way to add iPhone with Existing Family Plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gswilder, Oct 23, 2007.

1. gswilder macrumors regular

Need to confirm with everyone here....

I have an ATT/Cingular Family plan with 4 cell phones.

What is the cheapest way to buy an iPhone and add to my existing family plan? I am wanting to add another line (total of 5) not replace one of the existing 4 with the new iPhone.

Should I go online and add another family plan line for $9.99 a month. Then purchase the cheapest phone I can get? (I can get several good cell phones for $0 through our company ATT sponsorship plan).

Then order an iPhone or pick one up at local ATT store?

Then when I register the iPhone on iTunes, will it allow me to add it to the new family plan line? The additional cost will just be the data $20 dollars.

So if I can go this route, I can add an additional line and use the iPhone, and the total cost per month will be an extra $30 dollars.

Is this the best way? Thanks to all in advance...

Greg
    :confused:

2. btallada9870 macrumors member

Depending on your family's text messaging usage, I would say that the best thing to do is to get the 29.99 a month unlimited text messaging for all lines. Then I woudl just add the 29.99 a month for the iphone. You don't need a seperate texting plan. Well, they said that you would, but I don't need one.

If your family doesn't text message, then you just have to add the 29.99 a month for the iphone. not much esle to do.

EDIT. Actually, I would open up an AT&T account with a normal phone, and sign a two year contract and get a free phone. Then I would go back the next day and get an iPhone and extend my contract 2 years from there. That way, if one of your other phones break you have a free spare.

3. BigDaddy5 macrumors member

My parents were considering porting their family plan over to ATTWS (4 lines), but wanted me to figure it out for them. One of the lines would have had an iPhone on it. So I called ATTWS to figure it out. I spoke with two reps about it to make sure, so take it for what it's worth.

They told me I would have to activate the iPhone through iTunes and then call ATTWS to have it added to the family plan. Every line with an iPhone would have to have the minimum 20 dollar data/text plan added to it as well.

Personally, I don't think that's the best solution, if it were me doing it...I would be on the phone with ATTWS before I buy the iPhone and have them note my account. Then I would call them back and have them walk me through the process with them on the phone. I'm fairly technically inclined, but when it comes to their end, I want one of them to make sure I'm getting the results right the first time.

4. beeeen macrumors member

The unlimited texting for the family is 29.99 a month. Just add that on to the $20 a month data plan and you are set. As for a family plan, I'm really not sure. I know you can have 2 iPhone lines for 109 (i believe) and every other iphone on that plan is $30. I don't know how it works if you have only one iphone + other regular phones. Just go into an AT&T store and ask.