Help! Both of my externals hard drives just stopped working at once! (Solved!)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kuebby, Feb 20, 2008.

1. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Ok, so I had one with me in my friend's apartment, it was accidentally unplugged from his MBP without being ejected. When I got back to my apartment and tried to use it again it wasn't appearing in finder and disk utility said the file system was messed up. I tried to repair it but it kept making my MBP so that I had to do a hard shutdown (tried 3x). Now OS X just says the disk cannot be read and bring me to the "erase disk" screen in disk utility. I'm hoping my data can be saved but how?

Then I boot up again and my other external, my time machine drive, is no longer being recognized. It guess it might have been bad for it when I had to keep turning off the laptop but now it isn't responding/appearing at all. It doesn't appear in finder or even in disk utility. What can I do to make Leopard recognize this disk again as well?

EDIT: After rebooting AGAIN and reconnecting it the time machine drive is being recognized again, but the larger capacity, more important drive is still not working.

2. kuebby thread starter macrumors 68000

kuebby

Ok, I just tried the larger drive again and things seem to have at least stabilized. The drive does not appear in finder but does appear in disk utility. I can see the drive but I cannot see my partition (called "320") in disk utility. Under the First Aid tab in disk utility both the Verify Disk and Repair Disk options are grayed out.

Under the Erase tab I would be able to reformat the drive but I'd really like to save the data that's on the drive, if that's possible.

3. McGiord, Feb 20, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

4. kuebby thread starter macrumors 68000

kuebby

Thank you. Boomerang found my files so it looks like I'm going to have to buy some piece of software to get my files back.

5. tuxtpenguin macrumors regular

6. kuebby thread starter macrumors 68000

kuebby

I ended up getting Data Rescue II and it's recovering my data right now, hopefully all turns out well.