Help! Bought an iPhone from Craigslist

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rockitdog, Aug 17, 2013.

1. rockitdog Suspended

So I traded my Galaxy S4 for an iPhone 5 yesterday through Craigslist. I took all of the precautionary steps and made sure he and the phone were legit. So far everything is good but today when I tried to add some of my music from my iTunes account I got a message saying that my iPhone was associated with another Apple ID and I had to wait 86 days before I can associate it with another Apple ID account (my account). I've been able to use my Apple ID to re-load all of my apps so far with no problems so why now is it saying this when I try to add music. Is there a work around to this or do I literally have to wait 86 days? :confused:

[​IMG]

2. veneto macrumors member

"So I traded my Galaxy S4 for an iPhone 5 yesterday through Craigslist"

Why... :confused:

3. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

4. rockitdog thread starter Suspended

No matter how hard I try, I am just not an Android fan. Traded it for a 5 with more storage.

----------

What about if contact the original owner and ask him to unassociate the iphone from his Apple ID?

5. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

No can do.

6. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

I also gave the S4 a try. Tons of bells and whistles with the S4 but in the end I just like iOS and the 3rd party support a bit more with the iPhone.

7. JackieInCo macrumors 601

There's nothing wrong with realizing that you prefer the iPhone over an S4. If I could trade my Nexus 4 for an iPhone 5, I would do it today.

As for the waiting 86 days, no way around it. I was told by an Apple rep that it's to prevent iTunes store fraud. People could make multiple iTunes accounts and and make all kinds of fraudulent charges if they didn't have this in effect.

86 days isn't too long. Just by on your computer and sync the purchase to the phone.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Wait, why not?
    I'm curious now.

9. JackieInCo macrumors 601

If the previous owner removed the phone from his account, it would still be restricted for 86 days. This is something Apple does on their servers and is nothing the user can change.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I've never known that and it seems like reselling a phone is impossible then if the buyer is screwed out of adding his/her own apps.

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

12. JackieInCo macrumors 601

It's only for 90 days and wiping the phone won't work.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I had never heard about that either. With as many iPhones sold second hand, I'm surprised this is the first I'm hearing about it.

14. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

The problem is that the account was changed on the phone a few days before the OP bought it. If that hadn't happened there wouldn't be an issue.

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Only? If I ever buy a second hand iPhone and I'm blocked for 90 days to use it how any sane person would intend to, I'd be pissed.

16. Nyy8 macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

Just synch your apps from your computer.

17. rockitdog thread starter Suspended

Yes, I did a complete reset on the phone.

----------

I'm amazed that I've never heard of this either. So bizarre...

18. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I've had this happen once before. It gets annoying but syncing through the computer did the trick.

19. bp1000 macrumors 65816

Does there need to be some clarity here?

Most second hand iphones are older than 90 days.

Reading between the lines (i've never heard of this issue either)... but from what i am reading, the apple ID needs to have been on the phone for at least 90 days before it can be changed. That stops whatever fraudulent activity is possible.

The issue is probably not as widespread because most people keep their phones longer than 90 days before selling them on.

20. moosquared macrumors regular

moosquared

Wait... so, the OP can't use the iPhone because that iPhone used to be under a different apple ID, therefore, OP has to wait 90 days to change it?

I never knew about that. I have 2 apple ID and I keep switching back and forth on my iPhone & iPad. One ID is for the US apple store and the second ID is for Indonesian apple store (I used to live in the US for 6 years, but have moved back).

My iPhone & iPad contain purchases from both ID and it works fine. If I need to update the apps, it'll prompt me to switch to the correct apple store (US or Indonesia). Once switched, it's good to go.