HELP! Broke my new iPhone 5s!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by royinla14, Oct 4, 2013.

1. royinla14 macrumors regular

Just got it last week and today while in my pocket I hit my car door lock and the screen and home button all cracked. phone does not work anymore. any suggestions? do you think apple store will help in anyway given I dont have apple care (but can still add one I guess)? I am lost so any help would be appreciated. I purchased it through apple online store.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

You could take to an Apple store and tell them what happened. They might give you a new one for free, but you can't count on it. They may offer to replace it for an out of warranty price of $250 (not sure it that is the exact amount, but it is close).

3. g4manimac macrumors 6502

Dang what were you using your car as a track hurdle? Without applecare I think you can only pay for out of warranty replacement or maybe some other options that I'm sure someone on here can direct you to ,or just sell it no tellin what you would get on ebay for it.

4. Krissypantz2828 macrumors 6502a

Krissypantz2828

Well you would have to pay a flat rate or some sort to get it fixed. Or purchase the apple care for $99, and then a day later send it in to get fixed. Don't quote me but I think its $79 for 2 accidental mishaps. I'm pretty sure you can buy Apple care + up to 30 days after purchasing the phone.

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

The iPhone has to be verified as working when you our chase AppleCare after the initial purchase.

Only hinge you can do is head to the apple store and plead your case. They might take pity on you but no guarantees.

6. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

7. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

8. royinla14 thread starter macrumors regular

I wish I had a phone to take pics with! :(

----------

I think I can add this over the phone no? how can it be verified as working or not?

----------

yes home button as well! phone is dead

9. KPOM macrumors G5

Did you buy it with a credit card? AMEX and I believe Visa Signature and World Mastercard cards usually have 90-day accidental damage or loss protection that will cover the cost of repairs.

I think the standard repair charge is $269. That's just $100 more than AppleCare+ plus the deductible, so even though you can't buy AppleCare+ anymore, you aren't that much out of the money. Just set up a Genius Bar appointment for tomorrow and get the replacement device ordered (if you're lucky they'll have one in stock). Technically trying to get AppleCare+ for a broken phone is insurance fraud, and they'll be suspicious of someone buying it over the phone today and then tomorrow walking in saying it was damaged afterward. It's not worth $100, especially if you have a credit card with accident protection.

10. Spacial macrumors 6502

I'd take it in to the Apple Store, that's what a friend of mine did when his broke under what sounds like the exact type of situation. Apple replaced his no problem. They admitted the phone should be able to withstand that bump. My iPhone 5 has been bumped like that and never cracked.

That said it does seem that the 5S is weaker, three guys at work have had them break easily.

11. KPOM macrumors G5

I thought in the Squaretrade drop test it came in slightly worse than the iPhone 5 but still better than the Galaxy S4. They re-arranged the internals, but the glass, etc. is the same so the particular issue that happened to the OP shouldn't be any more likely.

12. Spacial macrumors 6502

I was talking about the real life iPhone experience.

Android doesn't have anything to do with it, unless you brought it up cause you'd rather have one.

I like iPhones myself.

13. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

I dont understand how the 5S can score any different than the 5 --- Exact same externally only things changed were battery size and main board -- I don't think their review makes any sense or maybe their rating system changed since iPhone 5 (I'm sure they didn't test the iPhone 5 again).

I doubt increasing the battery size and narrowing the main board would cause the phone to slide more or get damaged more in a drop....and according to gsmarena.com the weight of the iPhone 5S and 5 is the exact same as well.....

14. wxman2003 Suspended

just tell them it was the 5s gyro problem. Tell them you thought you had put it on a level table because the gyro said the angle was zero, and that it slid off the table because the gyro is off 4 degrees. :D

15. brand macrumors 601

brand

A table of butter?

16. Dstopsie macrumors 6502a

You can add AppleCare over the phone. I do it every year after I receive my new phone. No issues no questions. No hassle

17. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

They run a diagnostic test which they activate by sending you a text message. Whether they have something built in that allows them to know if the screen is broken is beyond me. If the phone is unusable OP won't even be able to start the diagnostic test, which the employee I talked to joked about. He said well obviously the phone is working now because you're calling me from it and you started the diagnostic test.

18. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Here's an idea. How about just going to the Apple store, being honest about what happened, and see if they're willing to cut you a break? If not suck it up and buy a replacement.

19. sucka free macrumors member

This is honestly the best advice
    Make a Genius Bar appt, try to make the first one of the day
    Just tell them what happened and ask what your options are.
    If you are cool with them, more than likely they will be cool with you.
    They have replaced phones for me more than once when they didn't have to

20. KPOM macrumors G5

x2. Don't go in expecting or demanding special treatment. Just tell them the truth and whatever happens happens. A few years ago I spilled a glass of wine on my MacBook Air literally a week before i was planning on selling it to buy a new one. it was hosed, of course, but I took it to Apple looking for a legitimate repair estimate. Since it was less than a year old the Genius wound up putting through an override so I wound up getting the repairs gratis.

21. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

you had the phone screen facing away from your leg?

Some CC cover accidents the first month.

22. royinla14 thread starter macrumors regular

ok thanks everyone. will try and go in today to the apple store next to me

23. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

24. langolf macrumors newbie

You can still buy square trade!

I had my phone for 10 days before I cracked the screen.

I bought square trade insurance after I cracked the screen.
    http://www.squaretrade.com/free you get 1 month free of protection

I waited 5 days and then filed a claim over the phone.

50$ deductible, I went to genius bar and had the phone replaced for $269. Squaretrade reimbursed me the $269-50 for deductible.

25. Nolander07 macrumors 6502a

Apple sends you an email while you are in the phone. You open it, it then runs some diagnostics and verifies your phone is working properly. I just did this the other day. It was fairly painless.