Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

renikm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2002
Hello fellow mac users! I have a question for you guys...

I want to buy this month old ibook form someone for a good price. My quesiton is do I have piece of mind buying it as far as the warranty goes? Is the one year apple warranty transferable to me so that if there's a problem I'm covered?

Thanks for the swift response....i want to get it. Also other than appeance is there anything i can do to make sure everything is working well with the machine?

thanks guys!

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
If the other person hasn't registered the iBook yet, then you can register it and you will get the 1 year warranty, otherwise, I think that Apple does not transfer the "free" warranty, as they consider it a "used" machine now. I could be wrong though, and if I am, someone please give specifics so that i know too. :)

Regards,
Gus

Steradian

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2002
San Jose
well

Gus apple care is transferable. And see the machine spec i would go to the system profiler, then if you have it run disk warrior or someother antivirus system software in the system. Ya never know :0 have fun!

PowerBook G4 1ghz

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
i bought my ibook second hand it had already been registered. it didn't bother me, i really didn't think anything would happen. anyway, the dog happened and it fell, on it's side and the power socket was non-functional. i called apple support and they checked it's serial and we were like Tech: "hmm, it's registered to joe blow"
Me: "yeah i bought it second hand"
T: "oh, no problem"
and i got a replacement (with my old screen). this was all in Australia, but i would assume you could get similar help in the US. The legalities are against you, but apple has excellent customer service. for example, ipods, even out of warranty period, are still replaced battery holds no charge, etc...

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
Thanks for the correction! I knew that the 3-year AppleCare plan was transferable, but I wasn't sure about the built-in 1 year warranty. I'm still used to the old days with my Performa when phone support was free for life. (That was a while ago now!)

Regards,
Gus

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.