help: can any ATV4 owner please try YouTube to see if it's now possible to "subscribe" to a channel?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by SarahKirschbaum, Jun 21, 2016.

1. SarahKirschbaum macrumors regular

can any ATV4 owner please try YouTube to see if it's now possible to "subscribe" to a channel? I finally got a response from YouTube and they claimed that an update was pushed out during the last week of May to fix this issue..... but I can't confirm it because I returned the ATV4 due to lack of "subscribe" button in YouTube app.

On the 4th Gen Apple TV, when watching a video from a channel you're not subscribed to, how do you get to that channel's home page quickly from within that video so you can subscribe to it? On the 3rd Gen Apple TV you would pause the video and a menu would appear in the middle of the screen where you could scroll down to a link to the channel and from there you could click to subscribe. When you pause in the 4th Gen, no window pops up. It seems the only way to get to a channel's home page is to do a search for it which takes longer to do. Am I missing something?

2. benjitek, Jun 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2016

benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

You are correct. For additional info, try the forum search feature -- YouTube as it pertains to the ATV4 has been discussed quite a bit already, including the thread you started in early May about the same thing. At the time, you said it was such a huge issue you were going to return your ATV4. Sounds like that didn't happen. Why start even more redundant topic threads about the same thing?

3. SarahKirschbaum thread starter macrumors regular

didn't have time to search old threads because I was about to check out on bestbuy.com because they had a price mistake on the 64gb ATV4(brand new, not refurished or open-box). It was listed at $99 this morning. I ended up ordering it before I found out the answer to my question. I just picked it up from the local Best Buy a few minutes ago and will try it as soon as I get home. If YouTube didn't update the app like they claimed, I'll just return the ATV4 64gb. Actually, at $99, I'll just put it up on eBay or something and make $50 or so. :D I'm just kicking myself for not ordering like 10 of them! :(

4. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

I think this is the second thread you've started, asking this question?

The answer remains that you can subscribe to a channel from the app, but you usually have to manually search for the channel to get to its channel page where there is a "subscribe" button at the top.

So, yes, you can subscribe to a channel from the Apple TV 4. But at this time you still can't get to the video's channel by pausing a video like you can with the ATV3.

5. SarahKirschbaum thread starter macrumors regular

I tested the news ATV4 that I bought. After setting it up and allowing it to update, I was so happy that Google/YouTube finally got off their lazy [rear end]. It's so much easier now that the subscribe function works on the ATV4, just like it did on my old ATV3. :) It only took them 8+ months? :) :(

6. rolsskk macrumors 6502

Oh the irony in criticizing them for being lazy, but are too lazy to go find your old thread, so you created a new one.

7. SarahKirschbaum thread starter macrumors regular

guilty as charged.... :) but in my defense, it was really hard to search this forum on my iPhone SE while sitting in my car... :( (the battery on my Note 5 had died, which was why I had to pull out my spare phone, the iPhone SE) and I was in a hurry because I didnt' want to miss the ridiculously-low $99 price that Best Buy was having on the ATV4 64GB. (which turned out to be a price mistake that they did honor, which was very nice)

8. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

Like, seriously, I still don't understand what the issue ever was. For the 2-3 months that I've had an ATV4, I've been able to see and select a "subscribe" button on YouTube channel pages, and that's what I described seeing in the previous thread on this subject. I haven't noticed any changes for the ATV4 YouTube app during the few months I've been using it.