Help - Can iMAC 4,1 Be upgraded? ... about to buy, but not sure.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by stringy, Nov 18, 2010.

1. stringy macrumors newbie

CAN I BUY MORE RAM -or UPGRADE?
    im interested in buying an old imac4,1 -for $350

processer Name: Intel Core Duo
    Speed 2GHz
    Number of Processors 1
    Total number of Cores 2
    L2 Cache 2 MB
    Memory 512 MB

Is it worth it - and can I upgrade it so that it will perform better?

Thanks!!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

These are the first gen Intell iMacs. You can upgrade the CPU, hard drive, and ram. The max ram is 2Gb.

3. Zach Schible macrumors member

Zach Schible

Dito what Intell said. That computer should be fine for most general needs, but I would highly suggest upping the RAM to 2GB. I wouldn't expect to be doing any heavy work on it though, like HD movie editing, or Blue-ray size movies.

Good Luck!

4. LPZ macrumors 65816

I'm at such an iMac right now.

Code:
    Hardware Overview:

Model Name:	iMac
      Model Identifier:	iMac4,1
      Processor Name:	Intel Core Duo
      Processor Speed:	2 GHz
      Number Of Processors:	1
      Total Number Of Cores:	2
      L2 Cache:	2 MB
      Memory:	2 GB
      Bus Speed:	667 MHz
      Boot ROM Version:	IM41.0055.B08

I added memory to reach 2 GB, and replaced the original hard drive when it failed this summer. Paid $40 for a 500GB 7200 Seagate drive. Be advised that upgrading the HD (or anything other than the memory) is a moderately challenging job if you do it yourself. Tutorials are available on the web, but just gaining access to the internals is non-trivial.

By the way, check the DVD drive. Mine has failed, and this seems to be a common weakness. I simply bought an external Firewire DVD drive to compensate for the failed internal drive.

All in all, still a very solid machine.

5. MacHamster68, Nov 18, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2010

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

i'm on the same but the 1.83 core duo model and too upgraded to 2 gb and fitted a WD velociraptor 10000 rpm drive with 600GB , and it sure is still a very capable computer ,
    ok some might think you cant do even word processing without a 3.06 ghz i3 processor , trust me on that one , it is perfectly capable of more then just basic computing , and still outperforms all these intel atom dual core and keeps up with the newer pentium dual core based all in one pc's, main difference is only that it drains a couple watt more from mains , but levels that out by costing less and offering the better more enjoyable operating system :)