Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
I can't connect my wife's new XPPro laptop to our Airport wireless network. This is what is happening:

The card in her PC detects the network.
I attempt to connect, and am prompted for my pass key.
I enter the passkey and click "connect".
The PC says "acquiring network address".
The PC says "limited or no connectivity".

"you might not be able to access the internet or some network resources. This problem occurred because the network did not assign a network address to the computer."

Click "Repair."

"Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: Renewing your IP address."

Help me please!!!!!

zelmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Nevermind. Good to go. I had a friend at work help me figure out what the 26 character hex key was for my network today.
By looking through iFelix, I just found a reference to locating the hex equivalent in the Airport Admin utility. When I looked up my key, it was not what my friend had given me, so I deleted and re-established the network, entered the new, correct, key, and viola!

Hey, this Windows stuff ain't so bad after all! :rolleyes:

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
powermac666 said:
Nevermind. Good to go. I had a friend at work help me figure out what the 26 character hex key was for my network today.
By looking through iFelix, I just found a reference to locating the hex equivalent in the Airport Admin utility. When I looked up my key, it was not what my friend had given me, so I deleted and re-established the network, entered the new, correct, key, and viola!

I know what you mean- I got soo frustrated that I just turned the password on my airport off. It's too much of a pain on windows.. :/

Did you manage to get your printing working OK?

/asif

zelmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
asif786 said:
I know what you mean- I got soo frustrated that I just turned the password on my airport off. It's too much of a pain on windows.. :/

Did you manage to get your printing working OK?

/asif

Started to set it up, couldn't find the disk with the drivers on it, decided I was too tired to dl and install last night. I'll attempt that tonight. I'm guardedly optimistic :rolleyes:

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
powermac666 said:
Started to set it up, couldn't find the disk with the drivers on it, decided I was too tired to dl and install last night. I'll attempt that tonight. I'm guardedly optimistic :rolleyes:

Well, good luck when you do try :)

bigtiny

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2003
zelmo said:

I originally read this and it didn't help me. I wasn't using key authentication, but rather, password authentication. Here's more info that others may find helpful.

If you encounter this problem, go to the config panel for the network authentication in the Airport Admin utility. Under the password field, you'll see a note that says if using passwords they can be 8 to 63 ASCII chars long, and if using keys they must be 64 hex bits long. Below that is more text which states if using non-apple devices on the network, the password must be exactly 13 chars long.

I changed my password so that the network password was exactly 13 characters long and voila! My XP box came right onto the network.

bigtiny

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.