Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pepeleuepe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2002
Los Angeles, California
I have a Dual 1.4Ghz G4. I woke up this morning and my mac's screen had fallen asleep like normal. I tried to wake it up and nothing happened. I tried unplugging the keyboard and mouse and plugging them back in, thinking a connection came loose, still no luck waking it up. So I forced it to shutdown and tried restarting. The computer starts to the gray apple screen, where the circle spins for a couple seconds, then kernel panic. So I tried to restart with my OS X retail disc (I bought it for my iBook) holding down the C key, still would kernel panic.

Then I tried starting in single user mode to run disk utilties from there. It goes through lots of text, displays the kernel panic image, more text, then says "double panic, were hanging here"

I then tried taking the Crucial RAM and Airport Extreme card out to see if those were the problem, still kernel panics.

When I restart holding down option, the OS X CD doesn't show up, all I get is my main hard drive as an option. If I select it, it will just kernel panic again.

I'm all out of ideas, any help would be appreciated.

Mblazened

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2002
The Valley
new macs are picky about the Startup CDs you can use. Can't just use any old OS X cd. This is possible why you couldn't see the disc when holding down option.

From what you describe, you may have a bad processor, or bad HD. Probably your processor.

pepeleuepe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2002
Los Angeles, California
Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but thanks for the input.

I can startup from the Gentoo Linux CD I had laying around. The only problem is I don't know how to run any disk utilities off of it (not sure it's even possible), and I don't want to reformat a drive to install Linux if its not going to help.

Let me know if anyone thinks installing linux will some how help this situation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.