Help catching a thief!

MagGus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2010
Not sure this is the correct thread but it is digital video related...

Ok yesterday I had my apartment burglarized. The back door was smashed to bits but the thief didn’t do much other damage. He did however steal my macbook and ipad, among a few other stuff.

Here is what I need help with. I had just installed a security cam and it got the guy on tape, unfortunately my wife managed to hang the washing infront of the camera so the image is really poor.

Can anyone have a go at optimizing the video? I tried myself and it was a bit too blurry to be of much use.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14523320/incident%204959/entry.avi

Much appreciated.

/Mag

Oh by the way, the "find my mac" worked great and I got a really good location of it. I just need a better picture to hand over to the police…

MagGus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2010
update

Ok the Police got it and they actually had an idea of who it could be... guess the pretty much exact location of the MacBook helped.

WRP

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Boston
The problem is the only 2 frames that have no motion blur (ie he is barely moving) he is mostly covered. It may help the police but there is no CIS way to make this work any better than the video you already have.

Besides, the guy isn't going to keep the laptop. He is going to sell them to someone or a pawn shop. Just have the cops find my mac, get it back from whomever has it via location and then your serial number and be done with it.

EDIT - and I'm a bit late.

Last edited:

MagGus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2010
Just apply a bitmap algorithm, zoomify, and enhance :p
Man, thats exactly what I was looking for! now where is the apply button...

I do have insurance, backup and it is supposedly remotely wiped so I am not too bothered really. He appears to live in the neighborhood though so I would prefer to get him off the street for a while atleast.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
My serious response: talk to the police, show them your footage, and hope for the best. I wish you luck, these scum deserve to be locked up.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Yeah, it's like the writer was coming up on his deadline and just googled "computer terminology" to spruce up the dialog a bit.
Not as bad as this Dan Brown thing I read before though, it included many atrocities such as: "They hacked the X11 firewall!" :rolleyes:

I wouldn't even mind but the book was about computers and encryption, you'd think he'd do at least a little research wouldn't you? :rolleyes:

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
lol! First thing I thought of; I love how on TV, vga video suddenly becomes ultra high-def and telescopic on command.
what 704/720x480 can magically turn into 4k. I wonder if they are using iMovie on the iPad to enhance the image