Help choosing hard drive, seagate 7200.4 500gb or western digital blue 500gb

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BlueLAser, Aug 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueLAser macrumors newbie

PLEASE ONLY THOSE PEOPLE WHO HAVE HAD BOTH HARD DRIVES AT SOMETIME IN THEIR TIME, PLEASE NO POST UNLESS YOU CAN GIVE FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE ON BOTH HARD DRIVES.

Trying to decide which would be the best for a laptop upgrade. The two that I am looking at are:

seagate 7200.4 500gb 7200rpm st9500420as
    western digital scorpio blue 500gb 5400rpm wd5000bevt

I want to know about each ones:

speed/ performance (whether or not they are better in certain areas and what they are)
    effect on my battery
    how hot it gets
    does it make noise
    does it vibrate

I am interested in getting the best one overall.
    Please give specs and numbers. or just thoughts from experience.

Whatever you can give would be great.

Thanks

2. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

Well, I'm not ALLOWED to respond according to your post, as I just purchased both a MBP and a 500gb Scorpio Blue, which will be here tomorrow, but I'm going to offer a suggestion: Newegg.com, filter by "Macbook." Take a look at the positive and negative reviews for both drives. I found there to be many more positive reviews for the Scorpio Blue, not to mention that the Seagate has a lot of negative recent reviews. These are all things to keep in mind - not just that a drive has an overall good rating, but how it's being rated in recent times because that's an important factor to keep in mind considering drive quality seem to go in waves.

But, feel free to dismiss this since I don't meet your qualifications. ;)

3. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I posted in your other thread, so I know this is a duplicate. Don't post a new one.

In fact, this is your fourth HDD thread and third about just these two HDDs.

4. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

+100. Stop abusing the board. Stop obsessing and search. Your questions have been answered a dozen times in other threads.

5. BlueLAser thread starter macrumors newbie

by the way there is a clear reason why if you cannot tell it is right in front of your face on that pretty like screen why i am posting again. there is a reason why i have mark at the top in big letter why i have posted this thread yet again. but for your information it is a slightly different thread so you have judged me wrong why? because of people like you who post answers that have absolutely nothing to do with the question at all. how helpful is a vote for something or not probs here in a discussion of a hard drive. to me not very. i am not abussing this board i am researching with it. which is it purpose. i find it interesting that even with stupid answers i made hot thread in only a day or less. so i am not the only person with this problem and if you would mind your business and help BUT ONLY IF YOU CAN BY TERMS OF THE QUESTION THEN IF NOT..... DONT. i have looked at all the other allow with mine and after this i see not help or value. i see fans and one sided arguements. and sometimes arguement off topic and over things that are not issues if they would read others. I am not yelling or mean any harm at all but i do feel as though you and few others have attacked me not knowing the full story. and that is wrong and offensive.

buy the way it is my right to post a thread and i intend to use it. unless you are an offical of this site please keep your requests to yourself

mcdj i do not understand your comment at all there is a reason why i sent you a message personally seeing that i had read from another thread that i have no idea who started it is not important. but the reason why is that i saw you may have the answer so i tried to talk directly. i thank for your answer and i do understand. however you have confussed me a bit.

to any who may see this i am sorry. this was wrong and i want to speak against it. thank you for any information that that you may be able to give. good day

6. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

7. thespazz macrumors 6502a

This really is a useless thread.

http://www.storagereview.com/

The only thing that you have to determine here is warranty...

Which one gets you the longer coverage...go with that.

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Not understanding all the drama
    Both are good drives
    Read the reviews and the multitude of threads, buy one and move on

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.