Help deciding - iP4S 32GB or iP5 16GB

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by endhalf, Apr 19, 2013.

1. endhalf macrumors regular

I'm going to buy an iPhone, however, I'm not sure which one I want. I can pick up either 4S with 32 gigs, or the "new" 5 with 16. Which one would you recommend? They both cost something like 750 so the price is the same. Has the 5th reiteration of iP any great advantages over the 4S? I'm a gamer but I'm sure I won't play with the phone after like a month or so... Other than that, I only intent to listen to music on my phone, I have a tablet for watching TV shows and movies (with 64GB microSD + 16GB internal storage). Can't think of any other memory heavy tasks that I will do with my phone. Any advices? Your insight? I don't know if that is important or not but it will be my first iP (right now, I have HTC Evo 3D)

2. kevroc macrumors 6502

If you don't need the extra 16gb of space then you should get the 5. Take a look at how much music you'll need to store and take a look at some of the games you might want to play. Some of those games are really large, like 1gb or so. Use that to determine if 16gb is enough.

3. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

I don't know where you live, but if you're in the US the iPhone 5 16gb is $649+ tax, same as the iPhone 4S 32gb. If you're not sure how much space you'd need, 16gb is probably enough. If you happen to need more you could get something like a DropBox account, or PogoPlug is offering 20gb of cloud storage for life for free if you sign up now through cnet. You can access all of your files from your data connection of via wifi. It's not as convenient, but storage problem solved.

4. endhalf thread starter macrumors regular

I checked and my music collection has around 9 gigs... That would left me around 5 gigs when taken into account that 16GB on the iP isn't really 16 but more like 14, right? I have no idea if that's enough though I'm using both dropbox and skydrive and I do have mobile internet.

tardman91: I live in EU so phones are a bit more expensive here, especially iPs... You can blow 1000+ bucks for iP just like that :).

The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards the 16 gig iP5.

5. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

You can also have iTunes compress your larger music files down to 128kbps .aac on your device (I think that's what it is. There's a check box on the iDevice sync screen for it) to save you some room. The files on your computer remain the same, it just compresses them on your iWhatever to save you storage room.

6. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

I think you'll regret getting the 4s when you see the 5. You can always get a Google Music account and upload all your music there, and use the gMusic app from the App Store (1.99, works great)

7. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

This - and you're usually listening through headphones and environments where you literally can't hear the difference between compressed audio.

I use the compression in iTunes to fit all my music on my 32GB phone - it's great!

8. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

the 4S will be "2" years old sometime this year, right?

I am holding off as my wife and I can and want to get new phones. She would get teh 4S and I the 5...but hoping the 5S will come out and she can just get the 5 instead of 4S. the 5 will have the latest charger option and last longer down the road.