Help! Don't want to have buyer's remorse!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by andygabriel, May 13, 2010.

1. andygabriel macrumors regular

Hi MR,

I know this is the only place where my questions can be answered and where i can get the best advice.

I have a White Macbook Early 2008
    Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook4,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 800 MHz

But i'm thinking about getting an ipad or macbook 13 or the nxt macbook Air.

I use my laptop to browse web, Email, Ms Word and PowerPoint, iLife 09. I dont use photoshop or any hardware intensive software.

I'm a teacher and i take my laptop to work but the i commute to work on a motorbike but i still prefer a light weight laptop for when i catch the train or travel overseas (once or twice a year for vacation for around 4 weeks).

My white macbook is still working fine but i'm tempted to upgrade. But i was also thinking about getting the nxt Macbook Air(mayb WWDC) or the iPad to take out to work/Coffee shop/ Travel.

What do u guys suggest!

(a) Keep the White macbook and get an iPad.
    (b) Sell it and get the nxt Macbook Air(Hoping Apple updates at WWDC)
    (C) Sell it and get the new macbook pro 13 and get an ipad 2nd Gen.

Cheers MR.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

How about keep the White Macbook and don't buy or sell anything? Getting an iPad is going to be a waste of money as it doesn't really give you any advantage except minor portability issues. Replacing your existing machine won't help you do any of the tasks you mention any better.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would wait till MBA update and then decide. MacBook + iPad sounds like a good setup too as MBA is bigger than iPad and more limited then MacBook but on the other hand, you would only have one device to do everything

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Your current computer does all you need it to do (and will serve you well for severla more years). Why spend any money. Your MacBook is portable...so why do you need another portable device. A MacBook Pro is overkill for your stated needs.

5. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

The guaranteed way to not get buyer's remorse is to not buy. I agree with the others -- if what you have does the job, just continue using it.

6. andygabriel thread starter macrumors regular

No one here has a macbook and an iPad? Do u guys think it's pointless to get an iPad if one already own a macbook 13"?

7. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Certainly a personal preference. I need a portable device I can use for "content creation" and an iPad is mainly a consumption device. So it becomes just another thing to carry as it can't replace my MacBook.

8. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Admit it your WANT it. However, you don't NEED it.
    Don't expect us to validate your desire to spend $ you don't need to.