Help: Download manager in Safari - want to save file as...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chris001, Apr 24, 2008.

1. chris001 macrumors regular

chris001

hey guys.
    just really quickly. when i download something online. ie. school notes. it auto saves into whereever i want it to. which is fine. my default is "downloads" folder. HowEVER, it AUTOsaves in the file name it was downloaded from... this is really annoying. there is no option to change the file name before download, unlike in the PC world.

So i was wondering, is this possible?

problem. when i download notes, they always save in 46324645734.ppt or 10002353.ppt because the numbers for some reason are the default names of the files. instead i would love to change the file name before i download, so when it goes into my "downloads" folder it'll say something like this ... hkin 351 - lecture 6.ppt etc. and NOT 2352353252.ppt

any ideas?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

3. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

It is! Just right-click / ctrl-click the link to the file and choose Download Linked File As... You can rename the file in the Save dialog.

4. chris001 thread starter macrumors regular

chris001

LOL duhhh! i'm an idiot. that obvs. makes sense

Thanks guys. i'm an idiot.

but i guess there's no option so that i wouldn't have to write click it?
    not that it's alot of work.. just that clicking it once would be easier lol.

either way. thanks guys.

but if there is a program out there that can change the download manager to defaul "save as" that would be sweet.

thanks again guys.