Help. Dropped iphone in toilet!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by holly6s, Aug 7, 2012.

1. holly6s macrumors newbie

:confused::apple:HELP?!??!:apple::confused:

I dropped my iPhone 4S down the toilet the other day. (it fell in when i was going to put in on the windowcill - before i did my business, thank god!)
    The LED 'flash' light stays on even when it's off. The camera did not work and the speaker did not work. Now the only problem, after keeping it in rice for 2 days is the LED 'flash' light staying on, but it's not as bright as it was to start with. Is it safe to take the phone out of the rice and use it as normal yet? And is it likely to break in a month or two?

2. hakuna-matata macrumors 6502

3. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

Maybe if u still have warranty, can bring to Apple ?

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

unfortunalty, warranty doesn't cover user accidents....only hardware defects

OP: check your CC benefits if you bought the phone with a cc. May be able to replace it

5. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Did you ever think this alternative could've been a good thing. Your 4S would've had the probability of landing on top of your "business", staying afloat, therefore preventing it from getting soaked in water.

Besides the point, I'd see if Apple can replace it under warranty or out of warranty.

6. hakuna-matata macrumors 6502

I would never use my phone if i saw it floating on anyone's ''business'':cool:

7. CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

Any electronics, if submerged in water, is going to malfunction in some ways. Even if the malfunction and damage doesn't seem visible and obvious, your phone would slowly die. Yes, putting it in rice seem to be a solution, but even with all water drained from your iPhone, the minerals, salts and contamination of the toilet bowl water is still going to damage your phone. No solution for such damage is permanent and clock will be ticking. Think of putting your phone in a bag of rice as a CPR.

Your best bet would be either doing an out of warranty exchange for $199 for another 4S, or even going to 3rd party repair shops. I heard there are some iPhone repair shops that also has equipment designed to fully recover a drenched device, putting it in ionizers and special dryers etc. But if you want a fully assured working device, your best solution is to go to Apple.

Its even better if you have Apple Care+, which I think, if I'm not mistaken, covers accidental damage.

8. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

Toilet>iPhone...

I dropped my phone in toilet and made a genius appointment and simply said exactly the above. They replaced the phone without charge! I even made fun of the Genius that was handling my phone lol:p.

9. CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

Which Apple Store did you go to? The Geniuses at the Apple store near my area is downright strict about such cases. My wife dropped her iPhone down a POT of mushroom soup. Hilariously, as the soup was too hot, she had to use a scoop to get the iPhone out. The iPhone was a gooey mess. Delicious gravy was oozing out of the headset and the dock connector.

Went to the Apple store, had a small tiff over the incident, before I walked out. The next day I went again, unfortunately had the same woman again insisting I should just buy a new iPhone , and her reasoning was kind of right. However, my wife insisted that I visit another day and finally I didn't got the same woman, instead got a guy. He replaced my iPhone, with me paying 199 for it. Although 199 was still money spent, but it certainly was better than nothing.

10. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

That's a ****** deal sorry to hear your having a crappy day:)

11. LittleGwen macrumors 6502

wow really?? which store did you go to??

i said put it in a bowl of rice. chance that it will work again. happened to my friend. not an iphone but still worked~

12. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

I live in Washington State and went to the Apple store at the Alderwood Mall near Seattle. What I remember them saying is that it was there policy to replace the 1st iPhone without question but if you've already replaced previously then would be charged.

13. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

My business is pretty dense. No way it will float unless it is just too big for the can.

14. TallGuy1970 macrumors 6502

At least take it to the Genius Bar and see what they say.

My wife dropped hers in water five days before the 1-year warranty ran out (no Apple Care plan purchased). I took it into the Apple Store, explained what had happened, and they replaced it free of charge. I was shocked! :eek:

15. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Yes, but OP said he was glad he wasn't doing his business when it fell in. So it would be his and not another. So would you pick it up and use it if your iPhone landed on your business and it kept it from getting soaked? That's the question.

16. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I'm actually amazed at how often this happens. I use my phone on the toilet, but I haven't dropped it in... *knocks on wood*

17. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

For those that use their phones on the toilet (cuz i don't), aren't you worried the other party on the other end of that call will hear you plop your business and hear you flush? On the other hand, you guys must be using it to text, send/read email, or safari. Got it.

18. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Apple would replace it for $200US.

Keep it in rice for 1 week+ the longer the better. Make sure it is turned off.

19. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=14871369#post14871369

Over the years I have developed a set of cardinal rules regarding iPhones. They can be applied to any smartphone... but since myself and a lot of my friends are Apple fans... I call them my iPhone Cardinal Rules. It is very simple. Following them has caused me to never lose or misplace an iPhone. (Or drop one either!)

Cardinal Rule #1.

If your iPhone isn't in your hand, it's in your pocket.

Cardinal Rule #2.

If your iPhone isn't in your pocket it's in your hand.

There are only 2 exceptions to Cardinal Rule #2.

#1 Exception:
    If you are home, your iPhone can be left at your charge/sync area to charge or sync if that is consistently the same place you charge/sync. Don't constantly move your charger around your house.

#2 Exception:
    If you have a docking station for your iPhone in your vehicle, you may dock it there while driving, but under no circumstances are you to leave your vehicle unless you execute Cardinal Rule #1 or #2.

I recite these rules to friends who leave their phones on the table while enjoying a meal at the restaurant. By doing this, you are just asking for a drink to spill on your phone or to just forget it when you pay your bill and leave.

Another one for guys is leaving it on the top of a urinal toilet while going to the bathroom. Why not just stick it in your pocket while you take a pee?

20. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

the speaker is not that good, or is it better b.c it doesn't pick it up :),....People cannot even hear me when i am peeing on the phone.

21. mozam macrumors newbie

Magic

My iPhone fell out of my pocket and into the loo. I used a flannel to clean it up and then used paper towels to dry it. It was still powered on and everything except the speakers was working. The apple ring tones would not work and nor would my music play. However a ring tone that I had customised for the iPhone was still working - go figure.

I put it in the sun for a couple of hours while I took the dog for a walk. When I returned the situation had not changed. I could still make calls and listen to callers by using the speaker (rather than putting the phone to my ear). I could also use headphones and bluetooth devices. I put the phone in my pocket and went out. 7 hours later the situation had not changed. About an hour later, i.e. 8 hours after the phone was dropped in the loo, it all came good. All I can assume is that after 8 hours it had finally dried out completely and everything came good.

I hope that this helps.

22. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

Dropped mine in a pot of water last week. At first everything was fine. But after about an hour my call radio stopped working and it just said searching... Left it in rice for a day (an actual day not just a couple of hours) and everything has been seemingly fine since. Give that a try but do it before the internal water had time to do much damage.

Edit: I see now this is an old thread.

23. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

So they can laugh at you? Honestly, it should be illegal to try and bring in devices that have been in your toilet.

----------

You're totally right, sorry for getting pulled in.