Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Monomni

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2002
Houston, TX
G4 733 MHz tower - 512 RAM
60 Gig HD - Jag 10.2.2
Dual monitors - primary monitor card is Quartz enabled

I have a superdrive and occasionally want to watch DVD's - but the sound keeps cutting out. :(

I've tried all the different screen sizes, no other apps running, etc.
I have no idea why this is happening or how to fix it - Please help!

Thanks in advance!
Monomni

shadowfax0

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2002
Could you explain more clearly what you mean by the 'sound cutting out'? Like when does it happen? Does it always happen at the same time? I'm not sure if anyone will be able to help you except AppleCare, BUT there *IS* a firmware update for Superdrives, you might want to check that out, it may help!

BenderBot1138

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2002
Need the Info...

Cutting out? You might need to explain more about what that means... stop start stop start, or just plays and stops completely forever etc.

Keep in mind that sound and displays are connected in a way. I can mirror to my 3 inch DV camera and the audio does funny things depending on how I make that connection.

Also, there's no indication of which display you are trying to play your movie in or what that display is, and also what your audio setup is... are your speakers connected through USB? If you are using USB Speakers, and have two USB ports, you need to make sure you connect the Speakers to USB 1, as the USB inputs are priority sensitive. I run my Soundsticks off USB 1 and there's no troubles, even with a 23 inch HD connected. If your hubbing USB speakers it would be quite possible to have sound drop out.

Also video mirroring is incompatible with DVD 3.0 if that's what you're configured as (but I don't think so). Make sure your running the lastest updates for DVD Player and Quicktime (which should have come with Jaguar).

Sounds like you've got more than one video card so make sure everything is aok in your Arrangement tab of your Displays Preference. You may have to make sure mute is not on in your primary.

I think Cocoa applications only use a systems prefered displays settings, meaning you might have to determine which is authoritive in your system and set a few things.

Start there... there's some much more knowledgable folk here too that can do better than I...
:cool:

Monomni

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2002
Houston, TX
DVD Sound Cutting Out

Hmm... interesting points posted so far... I don't know what the "video mirror" stuff is about though... And I already looked at the firmware update - it doesn't apply to my g4 (it was the model right before the quicksilver, I think).

Better description of the problem... DVD will be playing, character talking, background music, whatever... the sound will be fine, then nothing for about 5-15 seconds, then sound is fine, then cut out again, etc. I haven't noticed any pattern as to when it cuts out, particular sounds, sound levels, etc.

The USB comments kind of make me wonder... my speakers are old - just a stereo plug (like a headphones plug) and I've had the speakers plugged into an iMic thingy that plugged into a USB hub. I used to have the speakers plugged into the headphone jack on the g4, but I think I started using the iMic setup for speech recognition, audio input stuff.

Anyways, now I'm wondering... do you think the sound just isn't making it all the way through the USB hub, the iMic, and then out the speakers? I will try again tonight with the speakers hooked up directly to the headphone jack...

Monomni

Monomni

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2002
Houston, TX
DVD Sound Cutting Out

Argh... still no luck. I've got the speakers plugged into the headphone jack, and I'm still having the same problem...

Also, a couple of months ago, I hooked up a firewire Formac DV Studio and tried to import some video - same problem... sound kept cutting out. I thought it was a unit problem and sent it back.

It seems I have a video/audio sync problem... help help help!

:(

shadowfax0

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2002
Do you have a set headphones or other speakers you could test out? It very well could be somethign wrong with the speakers and not your computer, try listening through some headphones and tell us what happens!

Monomni

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2002
Houston, TX
Problem Solved!! YAHOOOO!!!

YAHOOOOO!!!

Problem solved!! I called Apple about this and one other issue... ended up doing an archive and install of Jaguar... fixed both of my problems.

DVD playing now and the sound is perfect!!

Thanks to all who read my post and replied with comments/suggestions!!

Monomni
:D

Monomni

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2002
Houston, TX
Problem Solved!! YAHOOOO!!!

YAHOOOOO!!!

Problem solved!! I called Apple about this and one other issue... ended up doing an archive and install of Jaguar... fixed both of my problems.

DVD playing now and the sound is perfect!!

Thanks to all who read my post and replied with comments/suggestions!!

Monomni
:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.