Help End the Mistreatment of Chimps in Research (undercover video)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by HiFiGuy528, Mar 5, 2009.

1. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

https://community.hsus.org/campaign/FED_2009_apeprotectionact?source=gabhie

A nine-month-long undercover investigation by The HSUS has exposed the mistreatment of nearly 300 chimpanzees and other primates at the New Iberia Research Center (NIRC) in Louisiana. These chimps, living lives of deprivation and misery, are among the more than 1,000 chimps languishing in laboratories across the United States. Chimps, our closet genetic relative, are complex, social, and long-lived creatures. Many chimps currently warehoused in research facilities have lived for decades behind bars. Especially heartbreaking are stories of the 26 elder chimps at NIRC, who were taken from their mothers in the wild.

The Great Ape Protection Act is expected to be re-introduced very soon. This legislation aims to end invasive research on the chimpanzees remaining in laboratories, retire the approximately 500 federally-owned chimpanzees to permanent sanctuary (including the elder chimps at NIRC), and make the recent decision by the National Center for Research Resources (part of the National Institutes of Health) to stop funding the breeding of federally-owned chimpanzees permanent.

2. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Awesome thread. We should be moving towards eliminating the expendable use of all animals in research. Chimps are a good start, but working towards all apes, monkeys, mammals and ultimately all species would be ideal.

Speaking from research experience, animals are too often used with little thought and/or just to increase the publication impact factor. We have to explore other ways and shift the scientific paradigm. And there's no reason why alternate research methods aren't more informative. Human research is always the most applicable. Factors like expense, difficulty, logistics, and time should not be traded off against the sacrificial use of animals.

edit: video is so sad :(

3. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Being an animal lover, Im not proud of the fact that the pharma company work for uses animals. I am not now, nor have ever been directly involved in animal studies. When I first started out, the first company (a toxicology lab) I worked for used dogs for their studies. They would get a couple of dozen beagle puppies in at a time and you would pretty much have a roomfull of happy, frolicking puppies, the people that were in charge of the dogs would play with them and just have a blast at first, at least until the studies started. Eventually what happened was that seeing the dogs arrive as healthy, happy pups, than die later either as a side affect of the study, or "sacrificed" at the end of the study was just too diffucult for many and affected moral, so dog studies were stopped at that facility and only mice and rats were used.

Where I work now they use mice and rats mostly, sometimes a dog study is performed. I have never heard of a chimp study being performed, apparently these are very costly and involve an added layer of regulations that do not exist for rats, mice and dogs. I do know the people that run these studies. They care for the animals and do their best to make sure that their suffering is minimal. There is also a zero tolerance policy for any abuse and suffering. If an employee abuses an animal, no matter what the situation, they are fired. Same for animal suffering, if animals start to suffer during a study the study is usually terminated.

The effort to extend human life, cure disease, and treat illness is a complicated and expensive process. Drug discovery can actually go very far as an in vitro process, but isolating a biochemical system outside of a living organism, away from other biochemical processes and doing studies on that system can't tell you the whole story. The unfortunate truth is that at some point the studies have to be carried out in a living system.