I am going to try to keep this as simple and short as possible.
- June 2019 I purchased two refurbished early 2011 MacBook Pros with 500GB/8GB/High Sierra
- May 2020 the hard drive on one died. The company warrantied the drive and returned with High Sierra. Everything worked fine until I tried to install an update. Crashed and I have not been able to get it back to work. I thought it may be a bad sector in the drive, so I purchased a 512GB SSD and installed it.
- I used Carbon Copy and cloned the good hard drive to an external drive. I then booted off the external drive, erased the internal, and copied the good disc to the SSD. Will not boot from the internal. Boots fine off the external USB.
- I purchased a two drive cloning unit. Removed the good drive and the SSD and ran it through the cloning process. Still nothing but a grey/white screen with a circle and a line thru it. It will still boot from the external drive.
- I am at my wit's end. I have worked on Windows machines since 1992.
- Thanks for any ideas?