Help for WiFi: how can I add a 64 instead of a 128 bit WEP key?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by marcel-v, Dec 17, 2007.

1. marcel-v macrumors regular

Help for WiFi: how can I add a 64 instead of a 128 bit WEP key?

thank you!

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Bring me up to speed here - why would you want to downgrade your encryption? I can't think of any real advantages of 64 vs 128 performance wise. Honestly, as is, 128 bit isn't that strong these days.

I can't say if the Mac OS has provisions - but your router likely will. (at least my WRT54G and BEFRS both do) Never tried it with my Mac though.

3. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Choose "WEP Password" in System Preferences - that is Apple's name for old fashioned 64bit WEP networks.

Picture 2.png

He probably has an early 802.11b router, or other devices on the network that only support 64bit (like super old WaveLAN products).

4. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Addition: If your router is set up for 128 Bit encryption - I'm almost positive (about 90% or so) that you CAN'T set the encryption strength to 64. (so you can't change it within the Mac OS preferences) I think you FIRST have to set the router for 64 Bit WEP (via the login address, usually 192.168.X.X) - set your passkey and apply changes to your router - THEN update the passkey within your OS. (which should have recognized the encryption as 64 bit WEP)

Strongly advise you do any and all WIFI changes via hardline ethernet, to save yourself some serious headaches. Then switch WIFI back on after.