Help! Friend stuck iPod touch in glass of tea

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by iaddict, Nov 29, 2008.

1. iaddict macrumors 6502

My son's iPod touch was placed accidentally in a glass of tea last night for less than 30 seconds. It won't do anything now. Is there anything we can do to try and fix it or is it ruined? The top was what went down in the glass, not the bottom where the earphone plugs in.

2. 156457 macrumors 6502

I heard a good tip is to put it in the fridge for a few days? My friend did this with their phone.

Just leave it to dry out, keep trying.

3. yorkshire macrumors 6502a

yorkshire

Someone "accidentally" dropped an iPod in some tea? And then just stared at it for 30 seconds before deciding what to do? Haha :D

Anyway, yes,the best course of action is to not turn it on for a few days, and leave it near a radiator or something. Resist temptation to turn it on until you are absolutly certain it's dry.

4. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

usually when electronics get wet you do not want to power them up for a few days until it is completely dry. Electrical damage happens when the electronics are supplied with power and are wet. At this point it might be a lost cause, but you may want to leave it sit for 3-4 dyas. Tea can be tricky. Tea can be very corrosive especially if it is sweetened. In this cause I am afraid you will be out of luck.

5. iaddict thread starter macrumors 6502

extended warranty

We did buy an extended warranty through Sam's Club at time of purchase. Does anyone know if that will cover this?

Yes, it was by accident. They were riding in my son's car, passing the iPod to each other, checking it out. When the last kid was done, he just dropped it down in a glass and didn't realize until afterwards that it still had tea in it. The kid that did it isn't the type to do something like that on purpose.

6. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

This is what to do: And to the best of my knowledge is the best course of action.

1. DO NOT turn it on

2. Put it in a bag of rice. Make sure it is buried in there. Rice sucks up moisture very quickly, so if you bury it in there it'll absorb all the moisture in the ipod touch.

After about 24-36 hours it should be fine.

7. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    +1 Not sure if the rice can get all of the water out from the inside, but it sure will help. Good luck I hope it still works :D

8. iaddict thread starter macrumors 6502

Rice?

Never thought about it. Will give it a try, though. Thanks for the suggestion. Anything now is worth trying to keep from having to replace it.

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^^ I'm gonna go with the friend of your son needs to pony up a new one. I mean, did he literally just stick it in there or was there some accident that happened?

10. iaddict thread starter macrumors 6502

that won't happen

Yeah, my son didn't tell me what his friend said but I'm pretty sure he's not going to cover the cost of a new one. I am hoping that it will get dried out and then work just like it did before.

I'll be posting back in a couple of days to let you know if it works or not.

11. jarjarblinks macrumors 6502

jarjarblinks

Had a similiar incident, though definitely less severe.

Stuck it in a bag of rice, buried it 6 feet underground firmly in a pot of rice (uncooked). Thereafter 48 hrs, took it out, keep it shrink wrapped in tight air tight plastic with little cases of silica gel packs.

Managed to work after 2.5 days. But battery life does seem affected, as an estimate, say could only use to 80% of previous battery life spans. My guess is some of the metal was corroded and just simply cldnt charge that well no more.

Read in some forums that this guy left his nano ON an electrical plug (which can get rather hot). worked for him. Came across some websites that said to fry ur ipod in the microwave. Thought u'ld wana head down that highway of destruction.

In the last case scenario, go buy a very small screw driver, fine brush and white acrylic paint (ah hem). Slightly unethical though.

12. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

That's just about the dumbest advice I could possible imagine.

13. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I don't know how the Sam's club warranty works. Apple's warranty will not cover it. But I think warranties from places like Best Buy do cover accidental damage.

There should be a number you can call and ask.

That should work if it was just water. Tea on the other hand is corrosive and even after the moisture gets sucked up by the rice your still left with a film.

It is amazing what electronics can take. 5 years back I had an old HP 2U server. I had no place in the house for it and placed it on the back porch. Winter came and it was completely buried in snow. Spring came and I took it inside let it dry for a week and it turned right on. Obviously if it was not below 32 degrees there would have been some major oxidation.

14. Brewerpaul macrumors regular

Depends on the kind of tea. Regular old Lipton bags will kill it, but a fine quality Dragon Well green tea will actually improve the performance...:D

FWIW-- on a sort of similar note my wife dropped her Sony Ericsson phone in water. We took off the back and removed the battery and SIMM card. Let it air dry for about 3 days, then heated it with a blow dryer on LOW for about 10 minutes. When we re-assembled it, the phone worked just fine. That phone has a lot more places where water could seep into it (and also dry out from).

15. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

It sounds like you have already tried to turn it on... Meaning that if it wasn't fried before it probably is now. I have heard many stories where leaving it with rice has worked, so hopefully you will get lucky.

However, in the future, never turn it on to see if it still works after something like this happens.

16. iRyann macrumors regular

iRyann

Erm... BEAT HIM!

i'm gonna go with your son should beat seven bells of ***** outta him.
    WTF is he thinking dropping a iPod Touch in a bloody cup of tea.
    Being English; it is a complete p!ss take that someone should abuse TEA like that... haha just kidding. But yeah get your son to at least happy slap him.

17. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

ask the kids parents to pony up and get ur son a new touch cuz it was THEIR son who dropped it inot the cup. it would be ok if it was some cheap toy but it was an IPOD TOUCH!!! get the cash to pay for it.and if u turned it on after it was :rolleyes:soaked ur just about screwed.

18. g2tegg macrumors member

Didnt you say it was dropped in tea top down? So the ports didnt get wet right? From what I remember reading, you should be able to return it. The way Apple detects if it is indeed water damage is to look in the headphone jack. There is a little sticker way in there that will turn red if it gets wet. So you might be good to return it....

19. Raytheon117 macrumors newbie

Haha! Microwave lol. He could always immerse it in some non-conductive liquid or something and try using it like that :p (like those systems that have all parts submerged)

Back to the serious side of things... Some good advice in this thread...definitely the rice idea was unexpected...reminds me of the time my mom spilt coffee on her laptop. It was an IBM so it actually had a spill tray so nothing got damaged except for the keyboard and touchpad (which were replaced).

20. MacBass macrumors 6502

MacBass

Black tea - steep for 6 minutes
    Green tea - steep for 4 minutes
    iPod Touch - steep for 0 minutes

Sorry, I had to! That sucks for your son, but he'll quickly learn a lesson this way!