HELP - Got Toshiba Canvio 1tb for my MBP and I can't open the enclosure!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by danistyping, May 13, 2010.

1. danistyping macrumors regular

Hey guys,

So I took the advice of 9to5mac (might have been my first mistake) and ordered the Toshiba Canvio Plus 1tb portable external drive with the goal of removing the 2.5' 12.5mm 5400rpm hdd and transplanting it into my 13" Macbook Pro.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Unfortunately, the case has a (sort of) "unibody" design to it - there are no screws! I don't want to void the warranty by cracking the damn thing open.

Has anyone done this? There's also a 750gb canvio and the case is the same. ANYONE who has tried this, please provide any advice that you can!

Thanks - i appreciate it.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Can't you return it and get a bare drive? Why did you pay more for an enclosure + drive when all you wanted was the drive?

3. danistyping thread starter macrumors regular

I am well aware that I can return it and get a bare drive. In the enclosure, it cost 129.99 which is cheaper than the drive itself. I caught it on special at Amazon, which is why 9to5 posted it in the first place.

Back to the point of the thread - anyone have any info?

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Look for a seam and apply pressure. You're probably going to void the warranty anyway if you remove the drive. They'll probably have a sticker over a connector or something.

Buying an external drive just to rip the drive out and wanting to keep the warranty valid usually don't go together.

5. danistyping thread starter macrumors regular

Last call before I return this thing....can anyone help?

6. Solowalker macrumors regular

I know it's probably way too late, but I just picked up one of these from Dell for $100 to put it in my 13" MBP. It was actually pretty easy to bust open. Just took a tiny flat head screwdriver, shoved it in a crease and pried it up. There are 10 plastic clips holding the top and bottom on, 3 on the long sides 2 on the short. If you've ever taken apart a 5th gen iPod video it's extremely similar but easier. Sure a few clips broke (they're kinda flimsy) but I don't really need the enclosure. Even still, there may be enough clips left to seal it well enough to use confidently.

Just thought I'd share.

7. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

I though te height limit was 9.5 mm. Not 12.5 mm.

8. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

9. Mercboyz macrumors newbie

I had the same problem. I looked everywhere for screw holes and found nothing. So what I did was take a mini curved hook screw driver that I had in my garage.

Looks like this bottom one [​IMG]

I just dug it in there between the gray plastic side border and the black glossy top. Wiggle it open and you'll pop open the case. You might have to move the screw driver across the drive to continue to open the rest of the tabs.

Depending on if you want to re-use the case, you might want to be gentle with it. Since I wasn't going to re-use the case (giving my cousin my old drive) I just opened it up.

The drive is packed in there a bit tightly in the case so I used the curved hook to pull up the drive. Then just take off the power adapter board and the rubber holders on the drive and you're good to go!

10. MRubenzahl macrumors newbie

Video shows how to open Canvio

Not difficult once you know how. Someone posted a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BluMCbYKK_g

You will very likely scratch the case (the plastic is soft) but you can get it open and shut easily.

11. rafaelgimenes macrumors newbie

Hi danistyping,
    Did you can confirm if this HD is 12.5mm or 9.5mm?
    I will try to install it on a opitbay adapter, but its only accept the 9.5mm hard drives..

12. Solowalker macrumors regular

It's definitely 12.5 mm. Barely fits in a MacBook Pro's main dive bay.

13. rafaelgimenes macrumors newbie

thanks, my intent was use it on optibay caddy, i need found another hd with 9.5mm