Help, guys! I put a dvd-rw in my macbook drive and it won't see it, so I can't eject!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by roisin and mac, Sep 2, 2008.

1. roisin and mac macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

This d*ckh**d (yes, i know it's a Bad Word, but seriously that's what he is) on a committee my mother sits on gave her this dvd-rw with files of financial data pertaining to their work, and as she couldn't access them on her laptop (windows xp)--she clicked on the volume in My Computer and it showed up empty--we had the bright idea of trying it on mine just in case it was just her ailing old laptop.

But it doesn't work on my mac either, in fact, it doesn't even show up--in Finder OR the Desktop! Grrr, blast them :mad: So now I can't eject the stupid thing! I tried the eject key on the keyboard, but no joy.

Is there a way I can get rid of this filth (lol) without taking my [precious baby] er, computer to the technicians?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Try the following in a Terminal.

Code:
    drutil tray eject

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

See if it appears in Disk Utilities. It is likely that he never actually burned the disk, formatted the disc, or closed the session.

He needs to learn to use his CD Burner.

TEG

4. Trip.Tucker Guest

If you are still stuck, reboot, but hold down the mouse button until it ejects.
    Make sure you are holding the mouse button down when you hear the chime or right after.

5. Trip.Tucker Guest

or

Code:
    drutil tray open
    and
    Code:
    drutil tray close

6. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

This has always worked for me.

7. roisin and mac thread starter macrumors 6502

okay, guys, now I am really scared.

First, I tried TEG's suggestion (I skipped Edoian's and Trip.Tucker's about the terminal, as I've never used that before and wanted to eliminate the others first, the ones I'm more comfortable with). I had to bring up Disk Utilities using Spotlight, because Finder would not respond--it just says 'Application Not Responding' in grey, then Hide and Relaunch in black, when I click-and-hold on the finder on the dock. Disk utilities came up, and has been displaying 'Gathering disk information' for a while now, and nothing else; I tried to quit it, to try a restart, but it stopped me because disk utilities was not responding, and I only managed to finally quit it using cmd-alt-esc. tried this on finder too, but it didn't work; it's still not responding. Plus, worryingly, my clock is stuck at 11:04, and the battery meter stuck at 1:12. I tried trip tucker's idea of rebooting, but it's not working--I clicked on Restart, then on OK, but it went as far as the stage where all the stuff on your desktop goes away, and that was it--went no further. To try edorian's and tucker's other suggestion on terminal, I will need some hand-holding on how to do that, please?

Second, my mom told me more about how the data came to be on this particular dvd, and basically it's been through many computers (most of them operated by people who don't necessarily know what they're doing on even simple tasks), and it is a copy of a copy of a copy, so I'm worried about the data being messed up or something, and this somehow messing up my computer. I know the mac is pretty much immune to viruses, at least that's some comfort, but I don't reckon it's immune to everything some idiot might be able to come up with in their eternal, devastating stupidity.

I'm sure this is full of typos and odd syntax, but please forgive the bits I'm missing because Im totally freaking out that my computer is messed up now because of this guy's tat. I gotta say to my embarassment I'm close to tears, but I hope you guys have some idea--you usually do :( At least Safari seems to be working ok, pretty much, so at least I can communicate with the same computer. thank god for small blessings I guess.

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

All that you do is copy and paste the command into Terminal and hit Return.

You could just force your laptop to power off if it's stuck.

9. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Force the power off, then power back on and hold the mouse/trackpad button, that should force the drive to cycle and kick out the disc.

TEG

10. roisin and mac thread starter macrumors 6502

edorian, I tried both yours and trip tuckers, and nothing seems to be working. With yours, it made the sounds it usually makes just before spitting it out, but then nothing happened.

I don't know if i did trip tucker's correctly; I copy-pasted the first bit, then Return, then the second bit, and return. No joy.

How do I force it to power off, just hold down the power button?, and should I do it with that thing inside? It seems like Alien Presence 13 I swear, it's creeping me out. :(<sniffle>

11. Trip.Tucker Guest

Ok, press and hold the power button and continue to hold until it powers off, this may take up to 10 seconds depending the last state of the power supply. Leave it off for 20 seconds, then power on and immediately begin holding down the mouse button. Don't let go until the CD/DVD ejects or you end up on the desktop.

Please post here if you are successful or not.

12. roisin and mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Guys, I tried the reboot according to tucker (and others), and it didn't work :( I had to leave it a bit more than 20 seconds, because I was kinda shaky :eek: and wanted to be sure I wouldn't mess up as I needed to do the press down the power button bit and then the hold down the mouse at the same time. I should add here that I did it using the trackpad button; I was afraid there might be a problem with it not 'seeing' the mouse (wireless MM) and figured it was more likely to recognise the trackpad if not the mouse. the problem is that because I also have a Guest account to let my mates check stuff out easily, I had to release it eventually to click on the right account and enter my password to go on to the desktop. During bootup (it took it several minutes to get to the login screen), and even after, I could hear the fans going crazy spinning and spinning, but nothing happened at that stage. On top of this, as soon as I finaly got to the desktop (it still couldn't see the @#$% dvd), I launched Safari to come here, but it froze, and then when I tried to send the report to Apple, it was trying for ages and only did it after several minutes. I tried to laucnh activity monitor to see what's with the fans, it froze too, no sending the report to Apple either. Even bloody mail is hopping up and down, and it says 'Mail can't verify the identity of server pop.yahoo.mail' (or summat like it). Which I've had before in the past few days, so I don't know if it's related, probably not, but I thought I'd mention that anyway.

Now, after around 10-15 mins, the fans seem to have stopped, and I can FINALLY, FINALLy see the CD in Finder (and on the desktop), with the name and all. I tried ejecting it (using the button next to the cd name, then by dragging it to the trash, then by righ-clicking and choosing eject),, but all three times the system just froze all over again, no reaction, not even with cmd-alt-esc. It finally unfroze on its own, and one of the times I got the message that 'the disk [name] cannot be ejected because it's in use, try quitting applications' (and the message wouldn't even go away on my first clicking OK, it took a few clicks for it to react). I'm wary of trying one of these again lest it freezes up again for another five to ten minutes at a time! and it's so late here (3am) that I don't want to try things without guidance because my judgement is impaired from tiredness.

Also, with the reboot the clock is showing the correct time, and so is the battery stuff (I got it plugged in just in case). I hope I didn't mess up by leaving it more than 20 seconds & not holding all the way to the desktop. I should have disabled the second account but it never ocurred to me.

13. maestrocasa macrumors regular

YIKES!
    Man, sorry to hear about so much trouble with a disc. Does your MB have an eject button? (in UR corner of keyboard). When I've gotten stuck discs, I often have luck shutting down, and then holding down the eject button during startup. (never tried the mouse button trick. I'll use that next time!) Usually the cd kicks out sometime before the login screen.

Good luck!

14. roisin and mac thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for your answer maestrocasa, it helps because I can feel myself heading straight for middle-of-the-night-computer-trouble misery right around now :) Do you think it could be as simple as that? I do have this button, but I've never used it before. This time, I tried (earlier tonight), but it just conjured up a great big white eject icon in the middle of the screen that faded after a few seconds, and nothing else.

the thing is, I'm getting scared of trying anything, because everything seems to be in such a mess! I'm especially scared of shutting down in case I lose the safari communication. I'd have to go use my mom's laptop, and I don't even know where my macrumors password is jotted down anymore since I'm always logged on here and besides I got the password on Keychains. I'm just at a loss about what to do.

btw I like the link in your sig. I looked at them quick and will be back for more, because they seem like a sensible, humane lot, which is what I often feel is missing these days across much of the political spectrum. are you involved with them in some way?

15. maestrocasa macrumors regular

I hope it's that simple. The conjure and fade of the eject logo is standard behavior. But it doesn't always eject the disc if the mac is too busy thinking about something else. When you hold down eject on startup, I don't think you'll even see the eject logo, it just sends the command and kicks it out.

Relax, breathe, it's going to be ok. If you still have full access to the rest of the computer, you could always back up your key stuff. If you have a .mac account, "Backup" can save your Keychains. (presumably"Time Machine" can too, I just don't have Leopard so I can't say for sure) and... MR can no doubt retrieve/reset your password for you

But that's all just precautionary. You have nothing to worry about from the restart-eject procedure itself. You may have other issues going on and causing trouble, but ejecting a disc should cause no problem to the OS, HD, etc.

Isn't that something? I just found out about them yesterday. Their logo caught my eye. And then I started reading and came to much the same conclusion you did. "They seem like a sensible, humane lot, which is what I often feel is missing these days across much of the political spectrum." I signed up for their email list today and hope to learn much more about them. Here's a poem I just wrote for the politicians:

Red or blue,
    Just be true.
    Stick to what you say you'll do.
    I'm held accountable and so are you!

:p

Ok, so it's not Shakespeare.

16. maestrocasa macrumors regular

Rosin and Mac:

did it work? or are you unable to respond because your MB is now a $1000.00 brick?

17. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Have you tried (if it shows up in disk utility)

Open Disk Utility (in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder), select the disc, and choose File > Eject.

good luck

18. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I think it is time to take a trip to the Genius Bar.

19. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Hope we hear from the OP soon with good news.

Once or twice I've had similar things happen but the disc has always come out.

Once I restarted and just had to constantly press the eject button over and over - the disc came out, but I sweated a bit.

What happened to the manual eject button - is there one on the MB - I can't see a sign of one. I almost used to enjoy using a straightened out paper clip.

20. maestrocasa macrumors regular

some of the later slot drives (like my trusty ole PBG4 800) didn't have the 'pinhole' for ejecting the disc, but there was some sort of pad or lever inside the slot that you could push with a paperclip. But I must admit I don't think I EVER got it to work. Do the new slot drives have this? I don't want to stick a paperclip into my new MBP to find out!

21. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

My MB is my first Apple laptop - I was remembering my first two iMacs.

Me too - don't think I want to push a paperclip in unless I know there is an eject button.

22. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Also, is this a non-standard size disk, and/or does it have a label stuck on it? Both are no-no's in a slot-loading drive.

23. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

My honest opinion is if anyone's putting a paper clip in my computer, it's going to be someone that knows what they are doing ;). Take it to the Genius Bar, and if it isn't under warranty, see how much it will cost to fix. For all we know, the may just stick in a paper clip and take it out there and then.

24. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

My discussion about paperclips is purely motivated by the fact that on some Macs in the past (even slot loaders) there used to be a little hole at the end of the drive that you could put a straightened out paperclip in and eject a disc from the drive.

You weren't putting it into the drive.

A useful little feature - obviously gone and forgotten. :(

25. roisin and mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi everyone, I’m baack!!

I just wanted to drop by and let you know that everything’s okay now, and to thank y’all for your help and support!

I did take it in to the Apple repair center (we don’t have an Apple subsidiary here yet, so no pretty Apple Store or Genius bar for us!), and they just did what a few of you had suggested, and I had tried before once without any luck: they kept the mouse button down while starting up. Apparently, it worked the first time--I could have don eit myself if I hadn’t been so panicked! But I would still have taken it in, to check for any damage, so it doesn’t matter that I brought it in with the cd inside still. But I was so glad they didn’t even need to open it up! I handed it in Wednesday noon, and had an answer before 6 the same day--I didn’t reply until now because I had to get it yesterday since reception shuts at 2pm and they were already shut when they notified me it was ok.

They looked at the cd and didn’t see any scratches or other physical deformation that could have caused the macbook to panic, so they told me their best guess was that it was a case of the burn process not having been done properly, having been only half-done, which makes sense since if it had been complete, we’d have been able to use it, and if it hadn’t been written at all, surely it would have shown up as a blank cd, wouldn’t it?

anyway, by Wednesday morning, after having pulled a worried all-nighter, I was in such a state of pissed-off upset that I asked my mom if I could come along to the beginning of the committee meeting, so that when she raised the matter of the cd not working, I could have the satisfaction of seing the guy get cnfused and putting in my two-cents’ in person. She was going to bring it up anyway because the guy was due to be designated the resident It and computing guy for the committee (he’s not an IT pro, he’s just suposed to be a bit knowledgeable, and the other committee members are kind of on the old side so they’re wary of computers. My mom, at 50, is by far the second youngest!). and she already was having a bad feeling about his fitness for that, because she’d caught him saying stuff even she knew was nonsense, as well as bragging about how there was no need to budget for a copy of word and Excel for the committee laptop since he ‘can get those on the sly no probs, har har’, and then picking up the laptop by the lid and hauling it up, yanking a flash drive without ejecting, those kinds of things. So I met him, and frankly he didn’t strike me as the sharpest tool in the box, either. My own impression added to my mother’s make it rather easy to imagine the guy getting sloppy and cutting corners to look clever; the deadly combo of too much confidence and not enough skill!

I wanted to thank y’all for the support; even if it didn’t result in the problem being fixed immediately, lots of you came up with just the same thing the repair technicians did, and besides, even the hand-holding was just what I needed as I got a bit panicky there for a bit, lol. See without this computer, I don’t have entertainment (I watch movies and tv series, offline and on SurfTheChannel, until I can get higher quality itunes rentals!), news, communicating with friends (I know practically no one here, all my mates live far), shopping since I buy most of the non-supermarket stuff I need on eBay and Etsy--I can’t even get organized properly as my contacts and calendar are on here (I’ll be sticking those on my ipod once I get one after the upcoming update, though, for better portability).

So, it feels great to be back!! I really missed it, especially mac OS X!! I had to work on my mom’s windows xp laptop, and I realize how many things there are in Leopard that I’ve come to rely on--hot corners, neat menus, easy ways to pull up an application (spotlight anyone? just g and return gets me Grab, and sys and return gives me system preferences!). Most of all though I missed the one button mouse--it’s so much more restful to use as I use my whole hand to press on the shell of the MM, not just the ends of my fingers like with other mice, and if I need a right-click, I still have it! Be nice if apple made the MM useable with windows, I think it would make a killing eventually, once people got over their prejudice for having two separate buttons! But the entire OS felt so great to use, win xp felt clunky and ancient to me, even though I’m not a fanboy who will say, ‘oh it’s crap’, after all it did serve me well for so many years!

Maybe not, but it gets the point across :p Basically, they seem to have a unifying message, and that tends to make me sit up and take notice, because a lot of modern western politics tends toward emphasizing and cultivating difference between citizens, at the same time as it encourages a globalized economy and universal solutions to local problems. and I’d best shut up here it occurs to me, as this isn’t the politics etc. forum!

Gawd, man, don’t even jest about it!!

It even froze disk utility for my efforts! scary huh?

Yeah, even if I’d been sure there was such a thing, I wouldn’t have dared try it myself! I’m with you guys there.

Naw, none of these, I already knew about that. and besides, I never use such disks anyway, not even with my sturdy old micro hi-fi--don’t see the point of them honestly!

That said, when I was picking up the 'puter yesterday from the repair center, another guy was there saying he’d tried just that with his own machine, and he was complaining too! Honestly!!! I wanted to slap him for mistreating macbooks!

So, a bit like the reset button you used to have on some electronics, maybe still do? that would have been neat, I agree. Not unsightly or too easy too press accidentally like on some windows laptops, but still there if you need it. Although maybe that’s what the eject button on the keyboard is supposed to be there for?