Help -- how to remove drive partitions?

speekez

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
Hello. I have a few spare external 2.5 drives I am connecting to my MacBook Pro via USB-C, using an external Ineo enclosure adapter. These drives were originally used on Windows systems. But when I connect the drives to my Mac and open disk utility the drives seem partitioned. I want to merge all partitions into one but I can't seem to select the drive at the root level (all it says is external). This is happening with some SDD drives and 7200rpm drives

Any advice on going about this? No need to save any data on drives can wipe clean.

See screengrab attached.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

speekez

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
I can erase any of the four partitions listed... but they all reside on one 500GB disk. How can I eliminate the four so I only have one disk volume/partition. Thanks.

hwojtek

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
Oh, OK, you've probably never clicked the top left button (View) in Disk Utility to select "Show all devices".
This will enable you to highlight the physical device and then click the "Partition" button to create a single new big partition.

Reactions: CoastalOR

speekez

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
Oh, OK, you've probably never clicked the top left button (View) in Disk Utility to select "Show all devices".
This will enable you to highlight the physical device and then click the "Partition" button to create a single new big partition.
Thank you so much. You are correct. I did not have Show All Devices showing. I remember in "the old days" when that wasn't hidden. Appreciate the help!

Reactions: hwojtek