HELP: How to Restore SMS attachment backup (NO jailbreak)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by teho, Jan 18, 2012.

1. teho, Jan 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2012

teho macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I recently restored my iPhone 4S to factory settings because the 'others' space was eating up 2gb of my free space. I backup my phone prior to restoring and used iBackupBot to export my sms.db/info and attachments jpg/info.

After restoring the phone, I made a new backup and successfully imported my sms.db/info from the old backup but realized the attachments were missing.
    [​IMG]

When I try to import all my attachments info back to the phone using iBackupBot
    [​IMG]
    this is what I get:
    [​IMG]

I tried another method: located the attachment files from the old backup and copy them over to the new backup but they still would not transfer to the phone.
    I suspect it's the 'Manifest.mbdb' that only backup what is registered in there. (Highlighted files are the sms attachments)
    [​IMG]
    I have close to zero coding experience, so I have no idea how to decipher that file.

Please help this damsel in distress, because I really do not want to restore back to the old backup that have corrupted files in there.

TIA

2. MrLeon macrumors newbie

I'm so glad that you made this post. Sorry that I don't have an answer, I was actually hoping that there would be one posted below, as I have also restored my iPhone and I'm trying to get my iMessages, SMS, and MMS over with all photos and attachments in tact, as well as the camera roll. I think that these things should just automatically be there, especially the Messages. Apple should just set up the system to where you sign in with your Apple ID and your Messages stream back down over WiFi or 3G. They need to be backed up in iCloud and as soon as a new message is sent over the server, a copy is saved into iCloud so that you have your entire message history - just as Facebook Messages do. That's the one thing that Facebook has over Apple right now. That, and the ability to see previews when hyperlinks are posted into a message. If I can find an answer, I'll gladly post. Thanks for your post, and I hope that we can find a solution soon.

-Brandon Léon