HELP! How to tell if iPhoto has full versions of my photos, and not just thumbnails

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by todd2000, Oct 19, 2014.

1. todd2000, Oct 19, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2014

todd2000 macrumors 68000

I won't bore you with the details, but I did a clean install of Yosemite and then had some problems with my Time Machine backup, time machine didn't recognize it, and I couldn't mount the sparse bundle. I managed to get most of my data out using DiskWarrior, but I am missing about 1/2 my music, which I can get off of my iPod. It seems like everything else is back, but Im not sure. The only other thing I'm mainly concerned about are my photos.

So that brings me to my question. Is there any way to easily see if all the photos in iPhoto have full size versions? I know it uses thumbnails for the previews of every image, so even though it looks like all of my images are there, I'm worried that some might just be thumbnails. iTunes was easy to figure out which tracks we're missing, they all had !s next to them because it couldn't find the original file. How can I make sure all my photos have full versions?

Sorry I guess I did bore you with some details. ;)

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Check the iPhoto library size.
    I think there is a yellow triangle icon with a ! In it where the file is missing, there is in Aperture.
    Sample check.
    Have more than 1 photo backup.

3. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well the iPhoto library is 17+GB, that might be about right, hard to tell for sure, I don't see any exclamation points while scrolling through the images.

What do you mean by "Sample Check?"

As for more then 1 backup, I'm gonna look into an online backup service after I get everything back.

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Open a few files spread over the library and check the full resolution versions are available.

5. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

I have checked a few, I will do more tomorrow, and also try to get my music back off of my iPod.