Help! I accidently booted into Mac OS 7 on my iMac G4 out of curiosity!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AppCool88, Aug 4, 2009.

1. AppCool88 macrumors newbie

AppCool88

Well there was a mac os 7 folder on my hard drive, me not knowing what would happen clicks "restart into mac os 7" in system prefs and it has the folder with a "?" icon on it, how do I reboot into OS X tiger instead of it booting OS 7 automaticly on boot up? here's some pictures of it:

Attached Files:

2. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

try holding the option/alt key at startup, I'm not familiar with the old OS's since this is my first mac and have only ever used leopard. This is the way i switch between OSX and windows at startup so I guess it would work with OS 7 and Tiger.

3. AppCool88 thread starter macrumors newbie

AppCool88

it doesnt show any icons or hard drives on the option/alt screen, R.I.P. - iMac G4 2008-2009 :(

4. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Does holding "X" on the keyboard boot you back into OS X? I remember being able to hold X and boot into OS X when I had OS 9 (Classic) as my startup disk.

The option key should work though.

5. AppCool88 thread starter macrumors newbie

AppCool88

sadly, no :(

6. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

7. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

do you have your tiger restore disk? because you could probably boot into that by holding the "C" key and then select the default startup disk.

8. AppCool88 thread starter macrumors newbie

AppCool88

how do you reset PRAM?

9. Makosuke macrumors 603

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

I'd actually keep holding Command-Option-P-R until it chimes three or four times, though that may be an unnecessary holdover from very early Macs when that was necessary.

10. AppCool88 thread starter macrumors newbie

AppCool88

yes, i have a restore disk, but how do I get the CD drive to pop out cause it doesnt go on the OS 7 desktop it just shows a blinking folder with a "?" on it.

11. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

does it have a button on the cd drive to open it? Try pressing the button as soon as the mac starts up.

12. AppCool88 thread starter macrumors newbie

AppCool88

if your wondering when my iMac G4 was made it was either 2002 or 2003.

13. Makosuke macrumors 603

Holding down the mouse button while turning on the power to the computer should cause the optical drive tray to open after a few seconds.

If that doesn't work, it's possible to manually pull open the door on the front covering the optical drive; from there I think you can get to the eject button to open it manually, though I don't have one in front of me to check. You could also probably use a straightened paperclip to open the tray and load a disc that way (it will pull back in if you turn the computer off and back on).

I'm a bit surprised, though, that holding down option doesn't work; I thought that the G4 iMacs were new enough to support the boot selector screen.

14. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Open Firmware does have the boot loader. It's not as pretty or responsive as it is under EFI but it works.

If the hard drive isn't showing up under the boot loader it might be toast or at least unrecognizable. I find calling the boot loader Mac OS 7 a little amusing.

Any luck booting off of a disc then?

15. AppCool88 thread starter macrumors newbie

AppCool88

they support it, its just it doesnt show a hard disk icon in it.

16. AppCool88 thread starter macrumors newbie

AppCool88

ok, now Tiger restore disk is in drive, but how do I get it to pop back in?

17. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Hold Option or 'C' after the boot tone. Preferably 'C'.

18. AppCool88 thread starter macrumors newbie

AppCool88

it doesnt accept memorex disc :( there's no hope now

19. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Did you attempt to restart in Mac OS 9 using the Startup Disk System Preference pane while in OS X? I'm still a bit confused as to how you got stuck at the boot loader screen.

Resetting the PRAM would have set it back to the default boot configuration but given Mac OS 9 vs. X it might have tried to boot off of the OS 9 folder instead.

System 7 isn't involved here.

20. AppCool88 thread starter macrumors newbie

AppCool88

BTW the first pic is of the boot loader and the next one is of the folder with a ? on it.

21. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Open Firmware Boot Loader followed by unable to find a viable Startup Folder.

What about it? The boot loader should have detected the OS X startup and displayed it or your inserted OS X restore media in the optical drive.

22. AppCool88 thread starter macrumors newbie

AppCool88

the OS is so old it doesnt recognize hard drives and I reset the PRAM and it stil l gives me the System 7 "?" folder :( am I going to have to buy a new primary desktop?

23. AppCool88 thread starter macrumors newbie

AppCool88

for some reason the memorex disc that has tiger burned to it just pops out of the drive. Should I buy a apple OS X Tiger restore disc on ebay?

24. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You never really answered a previous question. How did you get here in the first place?

System 7 won't work on the iMac G4.

25. AppCool88 thread starter macrumors newbie

AppCool88

no programs were working on basiliskII, the imac g4 detected the system 7 system folder and mistook it for an OS 9 system folder, so I click on the OS 7 system folder and pressed reboot, it reboots into OS 7 and it shows a blinking folder with a "?" on it, system 7 came out in 1991 and it did not recognize hard drives it only recognized floppies.