Help! I can't figure which to get!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by TheFallGuy, Sep 9, 2003.

  1. TheFallGuy macrumors member


    Aug 20, 2003
    I'm in a dilema! I want to switch over to Apple but don't know what to get. I have a tower PC that I'll be keeping around for a while (Play Games -Star Wars Galaxies). I've been looking at the Apple site under education and can get one of two computers for a fair deal (in my price range). Here are my two options:

    The first:
    PowerBook 1GHz (15.2" TFT)
    1GHz PowerPC G4 065-3935
    40GB Ultra ATA drive 065-3931
    Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW) 065-3936
    Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English 065-3929
    512MB SDRAM - 2 DIMMs 065-4033
    AirPort Card 065-3928

    The second:
    Power Mac G5 1.6GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra 065-4448
    Apple Keyboard & Apple Mouse - U.S. English 065-4161
    1.6GHz PowerPC G5 065-4172
    80GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm 065-4163
    56k V.92 internal modem 065-4166
    Combo Drive (CD-RW/DVD-ROM) 065-4167
    512MB DDR333 SDRAM (PC2700) - 2x256 065-4176
    AirPort Extreme Card 065-4293
    Mac OS X - U.S. English 065-4160
    Accessory kit 065-4159
    Apple Studio Display (17" flat panel)

    We have a little shop here at the university that sells macs, no pb 15". Played around with them a little. The PBs are fairly warm on the wrists. But I'm still at a loss for what would be best to get. Portability would be nice, but is kind of a luxury that I might be willing to go for.

    I also read that a dual G4 would be better than the single G5. What should I get?
  2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

    Dont Hurt Me

    Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    you need first to determine portability or not, then the original powerbook is due for a upgrade,faster g4 or g5. 1.6 g5 is the dog in my opinion,1.8 g5 or dual g4 1.25. but first you must decide on the desk or getting banged around withyou whereever you go lap. only then can you make a decision but you are comparing apples and oranges if you know what i mean.
  3. TEG macrumors 604


    Jan 21, 2002
    Langley, Washington
    Do not make a choice until after next Wednesday. By then we'll know (hopefully) what's going on.

  4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus


    Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
    If you want portability and you are keeping you pc, I suggest a 12" ibook or 12" powerbook. they are both small and light. I use my ibook for class and to go home, and I keep my pc (with linux) on my desk at school as a primary system. If you want your mac to become you primary system, then I suggest the 15" powerbook. If you are just going to keep you new compter at a desk and never move it, go with the g5.
  5. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816


    Mar 10, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Go for the PowerBook, but wait a little bit to see if there will be any updates. You already have a desktop, PC notwithstanding. You'll love the PowerBook like it was your child.
  6. TheFallGuy thread starter macrumors member


    Aug 20, 2003
    Thanks for the input.

    Rumor has it that there's a new PB coming out next week. If I order one now will they automatically upgrade it to that? Will they also up the price on that? If I don't like it can I go with what my original order was?


Share This Page