HELP! I need to duplicate/clone my whole HD to install a new HD ASAP!!!!!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by marclapierre13, May 5, 2008.

1. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

I am upgrading my hard drive and before i pull my old hardrive, i need to back up every file and info! I need a great program to do it! It needs to backup apps, preferences, the works, and I need the program ASAP so I can pull this bad boy, and reformat it back to basics/stock!
    All help is much appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

get CCC, it will do what you want and its donate-ware...

(carbon copy cloner )

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

You already have it. Disk Utility in Applications/Utilities. Use the "Restore" function to clone your current drive to a new one. You can also use Carbon Copy Cloner, which is donationware.

4. marclapierre13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

5. snberk103 macrumors 603

Also look at SuperDuper. It'll create a bootable copy of the HD, so if something goes wrong, you can boot off the copy.

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Both SuperDuper and CCC will create bootable clones.

7. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

Be careful to get the latest version of SuperDuper though if you're running Leopard. The older version will tell it's done but you won't be able to boot.

Cheers.

8. marclapierre13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

bah! CCC would have been perfect, but it only copies on to a FIREWALL hard drive!
    I will try super duper. i just need to clone my hard drive on to a USB 2.0 HD, so that i can "Restore" it on to my NEW harddrive when I install it. Any other suggestions? will super duper do this?

9. marclapierre13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

wait a minute... i have time capsule hooked up using time machine, and just did a back up recently.... would i be able to just install the new hard drive, and restore the time capsule "computer sparsebundle"???

or, i guess i could hook up time capsule directly to my MBP, so that super duper can save on it..but how do i do that? i tried connecting a usb cable to both time capsule and my mbp, but no external hard drive shows up on my desktop....

10. iHerzeleid macrumors 6502a

iHerzeleid

Have you tried connecting the Time Capsule to your computer using an ethernet cord?

And yes the restore time capsule function should work when you are installing a new copy of Leopard on your new hard drive.

11. jmdilley macrumors newbie

CCC or TimeCapsule will work. I used CCC when I upgraded the HD in my MacBook (as well as my wife's) and it worked flawlessly. I've also done a restore from TimeMachine as well and it will work also for what you're doing. (The sparse bundle used by TimeMachine is tied to your ethernet adapter's MAC address, so switching out hard drives will not affect your ability to do a restore from TM).

12. marclapierre13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

SUCCESS with the installation!
    Now im installing the Leopard, off of the disc. I ran into a problem, that took me like 30 minutes to figure out. It was asking me to "Reformat my partition to GUID Partion Table". I figured it out by reading this :
    https://iomega-na-en.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/iomega_na_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=19614

It turns out, every time I tried to format it, it was reformatting the partion as a "Apple"(power pc based) partition.
    Also, i needed to first "erase" the current partition, before i did all this. Now to restore my time capsule stuff, and im set!

Update: Time capsule worked perfect. when i installed the leopard cd, and started from scratch, it asked if i wanted to import my time machine backup, which i did.

the only problem i had with installation, is the left hand side by the hard drive is a little raised :s.