Help! I switch SIMS between my old phone and my new one, and it doesn't work!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jade Cambell, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Jade Cambell macrumors 6502

I just got a replacement iPhone from Apple, because my first one was defective. I got the new phone, I put my SIM in from the other phone, and it doesn't see it! It acts as if it's still a brand new, locked, unactivated phone. What the hell am I supposed to do??

Help!

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Activate it through iTunes with the new SIM installed. New phones are unactivated.

3. Jade Cambell thread starter macrumors 6502

The guys at Apple told me that I can just switch the SIMS, and the new phone will be activated. Are you telling me I have to cancel my current account with AT&T and start all over? What a nightmare! Can't I just transfer all my current information onto this new SIM card?

edit: Okay, iTunes lets me "replace" a phone on the same line, but then it told me that iPhone activations are not available at this time, and to try again later. I guess i'll wait.

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Apple people know nothing about the cell phone industry, and AT&T knows nothing about hardware technology. It's up to us to fill it in for ourselves.

The SIM associates the hardware with the network. On a dumb phone, swapping SIMs does indeed change the new phone to "yours."

Activating associates the iPhone serial# through iTunes to AT&T, reading the SIM in the process. Simpler for the user, but more complex on the back end.

5. Jade Cambell thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. So, right now iTunes has a problem getting past the "Please wait while AT&T verifies your account information" stage. I put in my current mobile number, zip code, and 4 digits of my social security number, and it just verifies it forever. Since i'm asking it to switch the activation from one phone to another, should I have the old phone, on, off, or with the SIM not even installed?

And if what you say is true, how come my old phone functions perfectly with the SIM from the new phone installed in it??

6. Jade Cambell thread starter macrumors 6502

This is what iTunes gives me when I select the "Replace a phone on my account with this iPhone" option. It says "Verifying your AT&T account information" for a long time, and then says:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

8. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Activations were down for awhile, should be able to activate that phone now.

9. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

I got a replacement from an Apple store and it was basically pre-activated. I just swapped sims and it did kind of an over the air check or something because after about 30 seconds it said "iPhone now activated". Didnt have to do anything through iTunes.

OP, did you get yours from the online store or from a retail store?

10. Jade Cambell thread starter macrumors 6502

I got both iPhones from the apple online store. The new phone was not a "replacement". It was a brand new phone. The way they did the replacement is they just shipped me a new one, and set up a return for the old one. When I switched the SIMS, nothing happened. The old phone was still activated and connected to the same phone number, and the new phone was still unactivated.

Now, the new phone is activated with it's new SIM in it, because I used iTunes "replace an existing phone with this iPhone" option, but my old phone would still activate after I restore it in iTunes. It does that automatic activate thing after restore. So right now, i've unplugged it from the computer before it had the chance to do that, so my old phone now looks like a brand new, unactivated phone, but if I plug it into my computer, it'll activate on the same phone number that my new phone is currently on.

What the bleep do I do?

edit: I'm on the phone with AT&T. They say that it shouldn't have stayed activated, and that I don't have two numbers or two bills on my account. They say they're calling Apple, to ask if there's anything they have to do aside from shutting my phone down. Then they'll shut it down, so I can ship it back.

edit 2: My old SIM card is now dead, for good. They killed it. :D Now everythings good.

And I still have one number, and one billing. Apple doesn't even want the old SIM card back. They said to ship it back without the SIM in it.

Also, of random note, my new iPhone has a much better screen than the last one. The contrast is richer. It looks almost glossy.

11. mpuck972 macrumors 6502

mpuck972

Quote of the year!