HELP! I think my Fan Speed is too HIGH 15" rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by renosausage, May 10, 2013.

1. renosausage macrumors regular

Hey everyone,

I have a quick question:

WHile playing Deus Ex Revolution I get an avg. Fan Speed of 5500 rpm on each fan.

My avg. GPU Temp. is 70 degrees.

Is my Fan Speed too high or is this normal?

2. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

Looks good to me. Also, a fan is one of the cheapest and easiest to replace parts if there's no warranty anymore.

3. Stetrain macrumors 68040

When you play games, your computer gets hot because the CPU and GPU are working harder. The fans are there to keep those cool.

Running a game is exactly when I would expect the fans to run that fast, and that isn't even their maximum speed.

4. renosausage thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, so 5500 rpm isn't their maximum speed?

Well I appreciate the information.

I just didn't want to mess it up and I wasn't sure if those fan speed were too high.

So I reckon 5500 is pretty normal while playing a game.

5. B... macrumors 68000

B...

It is. Max fan speed is around or a little more than 6000. CPU and GPU work harder, generate more heat, fan spins faster to keep computer cooler.

6. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Twice since I've owned my rMBP 15" (roughly 9 months), my rMBP has gone all weird and the fan (usually upon a reboot) spikes up to max RPM and won't stop unless I do a PRAM reset.

It's odd.

7. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Wasn't that the issue with the SanDisk SSDs? Apple supposedly fixed that in the new update, although your computer was purchased before Apple started using SanDisks, so...

8. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Yea there was an issue(s) similar to this with rMBP's w/ SanDisk SSDs, however mine has a Samsung SSD and I'm sure the conditions are different although it sounds similar.

I've been too lazy to really look into WHY it happens but a quick PRAM reset solves the issue and it's the only thing that does resolve it. Even if I turn off the rMBP and leave it off for minutes or hours, the fan goes to max RPM upon startup.