Help! I tried to fix my MacBook myself...now everything is worse!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Colorado, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Colorado macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I think I ruined my computer, and I'm not sure what to do. I really need to know whether there is anything I can do to fix this, or if I should start saving my money for a new Mac. I know virtually nothing about computers, so I will hopefully explain this correctly. Thanks in advance for advice :D

I have a MacBook Black 3,1 v10.5.8. I bought it around Christmas 07/08. I have always LOVED this computer, the only problem I ever had early on is that it had a phantom disk that would never eject (who cares) and then a couple years ago my .Mac mail and address book started totally malfunctioning and became unusable, would just quit immediately. FireFox quits on me a lot too, but not enough for me to care. But anyway, my mail/address book thing was annoying, then Photoshop wouldn't run correctly, and my internet became slow. Applications would shut off and freeze etc.

SO last straw was my computer said I had no disk space for iTunes DLs or photo uploads. So I figured the memory was out, and I looked up how to make your computer run faster. I went CRAZY deleting files and applications such as GarageBand and the like. I backed up all my personal docs on a jump drive and then deleted everything else I could determine was safe to delete.

I think I was wrong, and deleted some serious stuff. Now I cannot open Photoshop, mail, address book, Microsoft Word, to name the big ones. My computer is sometimes a bit slow, and FireFox quits alot. iPhoto still doesn't work. And NOW, I cannot play any iTunes movies that I purchased and it deleted my authorizations to play all my music. My Photoshop won't run at all, neither will most other apps. I basically use this thing for the internet only at this point. I will have to buy another computer if I can't fix this as I need these apps for my job. Plus I'm worried the whole thing will just crash one day.

What if I reload the whole operating system? All my files are gone anyway and nothing works, I just don't want to buy a new computer. What do you think? Has this happened to anyone? Would that be like starting with a clean slate? :confused:

2. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Restoring it will fix it. You should have tried repairing disk permissions, you never want to randomly delete files, it always ends badly.

Now, if you experience problems after a full restore you may just need a new hard drive, they are fairly cheap.

As for your iTunes I believe you can call Apple and they will reauthorize the downloads for your account.

3. Colorado thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help! Yeah I got very carried away with the deleting...If I just go and get Snow Leopard (so that I can get Lion) will that restore it, or do you think I need to do something else and then re-load my current operating system?

-Anna

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Do a clean install of SL.

5. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

A clean install will solve all your problems. If you have your files backed up, theres nothing to lose

6. imusi macrumors newbie

Yea, agreed, a totally CLEAN install of SL. All problems would be resolved.
    Backup all your personal files and data before proceeding that.

Don't worry, everything could be fine. Good luck!