HELP! I updated the OS on my 3G and lost my unlock

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jromalo, Dec 29, 2010.

1. jromalo macrumors newbie

Dec 29, 2010
    Edmonton, Canada
    I have a 3G that was purchased in Australia and locked to the carrier there. My friend jailbroke it and unlocked it using ultrasnow. I just updated the carrier settings in itunes (that went fine) and updated the OS to 4.2 in itunes -- now after rebooting my Canadian SIM card (Rogers) isn't recognized. The phone says I need to install a valid SIM card and activate it. In itunes, I can't do anything, it says the same thing, that I need to insert a valid SIM and activate the phone.

My questions is, can I jailbreak the phone? Or do I need to get a valid SIM card from Australia (and then jailbreak, unlock, etc)?

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

Apr 2, 2009
    Southern California
    Dunno why updated it on iTunes. The only way to unlock it now is to use the iPads baseband.
  3. kre62 macrumors 68000

Jul 12, 2010
    You should have done some more research. For the near term, you are out of luck, and completely screwed.
  4. maturola, Dec 29, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2010

maturola macrumors 68040

Oct 29, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    You seen surprised that a software update will remove a software hack :rolleyes:.

Your options are limited, upgrade to the iPad baseband and void your warranty and the ability to update using itunes. or wait for a better unlock.
  5. vachargerfan macrumors regular

May 28, 2008
    If your baseband got updated you are SOL. I don't think the new baseband is unlockable right now
  6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Apr 16, 2008
    At the iPhone hacks section.
    And you're surprised?
    You expected your jailbreak and unlock to remain after you update your firmware?
  7. jromalo thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 29, 2010
    Edmonton, Canada
    okay after reading up some more what I did was indeed completely stoopid...

I tried something else, and as near as I can tell the phone is now Jailbroken. I used Pwnage 4.1.3 to install OS 4.2.1 together with iPad baseband 3.2.2. When the phone boots I see the pineapple logo. However it doesn't recognize my SIM card and requires activation... Is there any way to hacktivate it?
  8. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

Mar 26, 2010
    Pwnage automatically hactivates it nowadays. You need to install Ultrasn0w through Cydia (which got installed when you jailbroke it). Then your sim will work.