HELP! I want to connect my iMac to my TV

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ksue621, Aug 17, 2011.

1. ksue621 macrumors newbie

So, my husband and I want to connect our iMac (bought in 2008) to our Phillips HDTV. It has a HDMI port. I bought a mini-DVI to HDMI adapter. After I plugged everything in, the only image that will show up on my TV is the image that is set as the background on our desktop! What do I need to do to be able to view on our TV?

HELP!!

2. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

You probably need to adjust the overscan. With everything connected and turned on, from the iMac screen go to System Preferences>Displays and see if you have an overscan slider adjuster. You might have to select the TV first. Hopefully you will find the overscan adjuster. Slide it right or left to reduce the size of the screen. Your menu bar and dock should come into view. You should also probably have mirroring turned on.

3. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

You'll find that it System Preferences>Displays

4. Meeshie macrumors newbie

Meeshie

How do I get my Sony Bravia to connect to my iMac?

Hi, I just bought a Sony Bravia HDTV with the intention of using it as a 2nd monitor for my iMac. I used a Rocketfish brand mini-display port to HDMI adapter & connected it to my TV using HDMI port 1. When I selected the HDMI 1 input I got this message on my TV: "No signal. Check the external input or select another input using the INPUT button." I unplugged/replugged the cables & still get the same message. I shut down the iMac, turned off the TV, restarted everything & still get the same message. I went to the Device List on the TV and "enabled" it and rcvd "No HDMI devices were found. Please check the connections." I'm obviously missing something. Can you help me? I'd hate to have to repackage this TV & send it back. :( Thanks.