Help! I want to use my pre paid ATT card with Jailbroken Iphone.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Edwintds, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Edwintds macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I just got a jailbroken iphone but it is on baseband 2.30 which means the yellowsnow unlock won't work.

I was curious will an ATT pre paid sim card still work? Anyone try it?

Also.. if it doesn't should I trying going to 3.0 beta to upgrade my phone to baseband 4.20? Will a prepaid work then?

Thanks!

2. BradleyGaulden macrumors member

well i dont think pre paid would work for the data, maybe for the voice, but for the data, it would be outrageously expensive, it would just prolly be cheaper to have a plan.

3. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

if you are running version 2.2 on your phone then you can unlock your phone with yellowsn0w and use the prepaid card.

4. Edwintds thread starter macrumors newbie

problem is... I am already on 2.30 baseband
    there is no way to downgrade that.

i just really want to know if anyone has used their prepaid att card on a iphone

5. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Any AT&T card will work on the iPhone 3G without jailbreaking or unlocking. I've done it.

6. kairos macrumors newbie

Hi, no you can not unlock 2.2.1 firmware with the new baseband with the yellowsnow software but you can unlock it with a sim card. I have a magicsim unlock sim and it works nice for me. I have get it from here: http://www.magicsim.com/en/unlock_device_show.asp? id=43&cp_id=&sort2name=15

7. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

You don't need to unlock to use an AT&T sim. Put any AT&T sim in the iPhone 3G and it will work.

8. dave006 macrumors 68020

The AT&T GoPhone SIM will work in the iPhone 3G and you don't need to unlock to use any AT&T SIM. Unlocking is just to use another carrrier's SIM in the iPhone for example to use the iPhone on T-Mobile.

They recently changed the GoPhone data plans so that you are now limited to a $20 100 MB option. :(

Dave

9. Edwintds thread starter macrumors newbie

10. clikzip macrumors newbie

Will tell u from much experience, u can swap a prepaid sim into the 3g iphone. The 2g is supported when activated ur sim thru itunes, failing the credit check and selecting a prepaid activation. The 3g is not, if u swap ur already activated prepaid sim into a 3g iphone, the system will eventually deactivate ur sim. Giving u that familiar screen when u buy it, a usb cable and an itunes icon. You also run the risk of data charges without a pcg as the iphone will connect automatically. All of which are unrefundable through customer care.

11. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

They actually did that to you? That sounds like they violated their own GoPhone terms of service. link

Admittedly those terms do mention that if you purchase a piece of GoPhone equipment from AT&T or one of its agents, you agree to never use it on any service other than GoPhone.

However, if you are using equipment that you did not purchase from AT&T or one of its agents, but rather bring equipment that you lawfully obtained elsewhere, and just use a GoPhone SIM, the terms' only requirement is that the equipment has to be compatible with, and must not interfere with, AT&T's system.

12. DMoney0023 macrumors member

so a pre paid ATT sim card wont work in either 2G or 3G?

13. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Because you can unlock the 2G, you can use the pre-paid sim in that. Assuming you can unlock the 3G, you can use the pre-paid sim in that as well.
    If you want to do something with your phone that strays from the norm, don't update your phone. :rolleyes:

14. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

1. You don't need to unlock the 2G iPhone to use an AT&T pre-paid card in it. It just needs to be pre-activated.

2. You don't need to unlock a 3G iPhone to use an AT&T card because it just needs to be pre-activated.

15. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Even GoPhone?
    Reason being that I plan on activating an AT&T sim to use in my 3G, just kinda for the fun of it. I plan on updating my 3G to 3.0, and with the GoPhone sim, I can use my iPhone for the time being. I can always go back via downgrading to 2.2.1, then downgrading the baseband to 2.28 (Yellowsn0w)