iPad Help! If you could only buy one which would it be iPhone 5s, iPad Air, Retina Mini?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by doxielover, Dec 8, 2013.

1. doxielover macrumors 6502a

doxielover

I need your expertise I can't seem to make up my mind which to buy. I own an iPhone 4S and a iPad 2. Both are working great. No problems with either. I have owned both for two years. I would like to treat myself to a new Apple product for Xmas and can't decide of the 3 which I should buy. I have a budget of $850. If I get an IPad I would get the cellular model. Thanks for your help.

2. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

iPhone 5s.

Chances are that you use it more than the iPad, and the 4s is just the right age to be upgraded.

Sure, the new iPads are nice, but personally I'd upgrade the device you use most often.

(Of course, you could use the iPad much more, in which case get the Air!)

3. Vladislav macrumors regular

I've been in the same boat as you. I've iPhone 4S and iPad 2 :)
    got iPad air and waiting for iPhone 6! My 4s still good enough! But performance of iPad air are just from another planet comparing to iPad 2. That 9.7 retina display....:cool:

4. doxielover thread starter macrumors 6502a

doxielover

Thanks. I probably use my iPad the most but it seems like you get more bang for your buck with the iPhone 5s better camera etc. I have to pay full price since I'm prepaid. The only drawback is will I regret it when the iPhone 6 comes out in June? Maybe I should get the Air. I just can't decide :(

----------

Exactly what I was thinking. Maybe even the retina mini since my Ipad 2 is still good.

5. GoingDark macrumors 6502

It really depends on which device you use more. I would rule out the retina Mini since you already own a pocketable i-Device (the iPhone), so it would be down to the iPad Air or the iPhone 5s. I only got a retina Mini myself because I have an Android phone and wanted an iOS device I could take with me everywhere.

If you play a lot of games, watch a lot of videos, and generally spend a ton of time with your iPad 2, I would get the iPad Air. If you don't use it as much, I would get the iPhone 5s.

Personally I would lean towards the 5s because I spend way more time with my phone than I do with any iPad.

6. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Sell both of your current devices and get an iPhone 5S, and any of the retina iPads. Also save some of the money or buy a good back up hard drive.

7. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

No brainier for me... iPhone. For me it's a daily essential & with me 24/7. I love my iPads but not necessities to daily life at this time.

8. doxielover thread starter macrumors 6502a

doxielover

I will keep my current devices but will I regret buying the 5S since the 6 will be out in June? Do you think it will come in gold like the 5S?

9. B.A.T macrumors 6502a

Since both your 4s and iPad2 are working great then put your money in the bank and save it. Buy a new phone when the next one comes out (or if your current phone dies) and in the meantime save more money for next iPad. You will thank me next year.

10. gemnilocs macrumors 6502

gemnilocs

I'm gonna say something different...get the Rmini and use some of the elf over cash for the 6 when it comes out next year...or buy yourself another treat.

11. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

If you spend much time surfing the internet on your 4s the 5s will provide a very nice bump in speed.

Plus if you're not interested in having larger and larger iPhones -- it appears the iPhone will be getting bigger -- the 5s may be your last chance.

12. doxielover thread starter macrumors 6502a

doxielover

Maybe I should just do that. I've just got the bug to buy a new Apple product since Its been so long. Why not a mini since I don't have one?

I wonder how hard it would be to sell the 5S once the 6 is released? People have been waiting so long for the bigger screen.

----------

I would like the bigger screen my eyes are horrible. I have to wear reading glasses.

13. rojct20 macrumors member

Which one?

I have iPhone 5, iPad Air, iPad mini r, all 64gb. I like them all. If i could only have one, it would be the iPad Air.

14. doxielover thread starter macrumors 6502a

doxielover

Thanks for all the input everyone. I respect all your opinions. Which one is the most worth $800 range? Probably none because they are all overpriced LOL

15. mpantone macrumors 6502

Three months ago I had the iPhone 4S 64GB and the iPad 2 GSM 64GB. I replaced the iPhone first then the iPad, with the iPhone 5S 64GB and the Retina iPad mini GSM 64GB respectively.

I don't consider resale value. I buy stuff based on how much I will enjoy using it during my ownership tenure, not about some future user.

16. doxielover thread starter macrumors 6502a

doxielover

If the iPhone 6 comes out in June will you continue to use your 5S or will you upgrade? My vision is not that great and Im sure the text would be larger on the 6. Maybe I will just get the rMini for now since the other 2 are still working fine.

17. solosdk macrumors regular

Ughhh stop saying June! iPhones are now only released in September!

18. JGWolven macrumors regular

I would get a 5s unless you somehow feel like you use tablets more than you would your phone.

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

iPhone 5s... because first and foremost I need a phone.

20. doxielover thread starter macrumors 6502a

doxielover

When I google it they all say June 2014. If your correct I will get the 5S.

21. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

The 4, 4S, 5 and 5S all came out in the fall. Unless your sources heard this from Cook, it's a fall release.

22. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Then you have your answer... iPad Air.

23. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

Sort of just went through this myself.

Had iPad 2 32gb ATT since a couple weeks of release. Same for an iPhone 4s. I just got an iPad 4 32gb ATT last week off of CL (like new condition). Two reasons....first one is silly. I have a Saddleback leather case for my iPad 2 that I really like. Didn't want to give it up, and the iPad Air doesn't fit it, so I went with 'old' technology (and paid half of the price since I'm a cheap .....). Second reason I went with iPad 4 is that, like has been mentioned, I want the bigger screen to see things better (reading glasses).

I use the iPad so much more than my 4s for everything, other than for making phone calls (obviously). If VOIP apps worked better, or the 'Phone' app came on/with the iPad....I'd not have an iPhone. I'd have no problem being the 'Fred' that's constantly using a BT headset for making calls on the iPad.

My iPhone 4s will probably be in use til it's dead....still solid as a rock. Of course, unless the iP6 or iP7 just blows my socks off :D.

I'd say get the iPad Air ;)

24. doxielover thread starter macrumors 6502a

doxielover

Ugh. You guys make this so difficult for me.